Appreciate your thoughts on this review!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Appreciate your thoughts on this review!

Post by slimcharm » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:24 am

I would like to thank the reviewer (#193) for his nice comments regarding Jessica's submission to listing #S051021PO. However, I feel such such a let down after reading them. Jessica submitted two songs to this listing. The results "solid songs and very good vocals. The style is not quite as individualistic as the listing is looking for." However, the listing asks for vocal talent/chops..ala Pink, Gwen Stefani etc. No where does it ask for writing skills. But all the comments seem to focus on is the writing. In fact one of the songs we submitted was not written by her (writer was credited but reviewer still assumed she wrote it). Since the listing does not ask for writing ..we just assumed they were focused on vocal skills. The artists listed (ie Pink, Gwen Stefani, etc )have plenty of help crafting their songs. They have experts helping them (or writing for them) edgy tunes. They also have the benefit of being able to go back in the studio and rework things. So for something to be forwarded it seems it would have to be perfect with no tweaking at all, even though the rating for her "vocal chops" is 10 on the one song and 9 on the other, and the listing asks for vocal talent not writing skills.(And if they do want the writing skills..overall the song she wrote has high marks..why not recognize that the songs Pink and Gwen and Justin may help write might need some tweaking also and allow for that.) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Play Song 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) 9 Music 8 Lyrics 9 Marketability 9 Arrangement 8 Production 8 Engineering 9 Musicianship 10 Lead Vocal Jessica, you are doing a good job here! This is a catchy, well-constructed melody in the style of Kelly Clarkson or Ashlee Simpson. The lyric is well focused and emotionally direct but you could give it a little extra punch if your images were a little fresher. "A table for two, a sunset with you" sets up the scene but it's a little bit generic and in your chorus, a line like "on that summer day" could have more impact if you made it more specific. Title: BewitchedPlay Song 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) 8 Music 8Lyrics 8 Marketability 8Arrangement 7Production 7 Engineering 8Musicianship 9 Lead Vocal Another solid vocal. The melody is well constructed and the song has good dynamics. Extended lyric metaphors are hard to handle but you are doing it well. In terms of both melody and lyrics this is playing it a little safe for the contemporary pop market. This song is more in the Brittany Spears style of 8 or 9 years ago raher than the edgier pop style of Gwen Stefani or Pink this listing is looking for. Style (yes) On target for this listing Hard to classify Not close enough to what listing asked for Not "current" sounding Style not consistent enough from song to song for an artist pitch Overall Comments: Jessica - You have loads of talent. I can't believe you're only 16! You have a very good voice and the ability to write well-constructed songs with catchy hooks. Both of these songs remind me of Kelly Clarkson or Britney Spears rather than the edgier, riskier artists this listing is looking for - Pink, Gwen Stefani, Shakira, and Justin Timberlake. You have got a great start! Keep writing and looking for ways to express what's unique in you. Look for your own "lyric voice" - one that expresses you in a way that will make people say, "Oh, that's Jessica Mellott!" Bio Comments: Bio is very good. Keep this updated as you move forward with your career. The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: Solid songs and very good vocals. The style is not quite as individualistic as this listing is looking for (a la Pink, Gwen Stefani, Justin Timberlake) but there's certainly a lot of talent here. I look forward to hearing more. Status: Forward Return Listener ID # 193 TAXI # S051021PO -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Exciting POP ARTISTS a la Gwen Stefani, Shakira, Justin Timberlake, Pink, etc. wanted by A&R Executive at Major Label. Undeniable vocal chops/talent and a fresh, stylish look are very important. He’s looking for that someone special who will be around for years -- not a flash in the pan. He asked us to only send what we are excited about so we’ll need to be very selective in who we forward. Send your absolute best. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Oct. 21, 2005. TAXI # S051021PO

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Appreciate your thoughts on this review!

Post by matto » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:21 am

Quote:I would like to thank the reviewer (#193) for his nice comments regarding Jessica's submission to listing #S051021PO. However, I feel such such a let down after reading them. Jessica submitted two songs to this listing. The results "solid songs and very good vocals. The style is not quite as individualistic as the listing is looking for." However, the listing asks for vocal talent/chops..ala Pink, Gwen Stefani etc. No where does it ask for writing skills. But all the comments seem to focus on is the writing. In fact one of the songs we submitted was not written by her (writer was credited but reviewer still assumed she wrote it). Since the listing does not ask for writing ..we just assumed they were focused on vocal skills. The artists listed (ie Pink, Gwen Stefani, etc )have plenty of help crafting their songs. They have experts helping them (or writing for them) edgy tunes. They also have the benefit of being able to go back in the studio and rework things. So for something to be forwarded it seems it would have to be perfect with no tweaking at all, even though the rating for her "vocal chops" is 10 on the one song and 9 on the other, and the listing asks for vocal talent not writing skills.(And if they do want the writing skills..overall the song she wrote has high marks..why not recognize that the songs Pink and Gwen and Justin may help write might need some tweaking also and allow for that.) Lee,I think you're focusing on the wrong thing here. The reason Jessica wasn't forwarded is:Quote:"The style is not quite as individualistic as this listing is looking for (a la Pink, Gwen Stefani, Justin Timberlake)""Both of these songs remind me of Kelly Clarkson or Britney Spears rather than the edgier, riskier artists this listing is looking for - Pink, Gwen Stefani, Shakira, and Justin Timberlake."You've described Jessica as "a Pop Princess". I don't think anybody would describe the "ala artists" in this listing as "Pop Princesses".So the submission is just a bit off target for this particular listing.Quote:So for something to be forwarded it seems it would have to be perfect with no tweaking at all For a high bar listing such as this one, yeah, it has to be perfect with no tweaking at all. The listing specifically says that "we'll need to be very picky".I understand why you're confused about the screener's comments about the songs and songwriting in the context of this listing, but put yourself in the screener's shoes:The screener can hear that Jessica's is not quite right for this listing, he (or she) mentions that several times. That's the reason for the return. But the screener also owes you a critique.Should he have told you how to change Jessica's image and vocal delivery to fit the artists in this listing? No, cause that's not what Jessica wants, so there would be no point in that. There's nothing wrong with the image except that it's not a great match for this particular listing.He couldn't have focused on the vocal, because he LOVED that (Jessica should be very proud of that 10 btw, they're hard to come by ).So the screener focused on the songs, because he probably thought feedback on the writing would be most useful and beneficial to you.I have to agree with the screener's choice. I can't find fault with this critique.It's normal to be disappointed when you're submission isn't forwarded, but rejection is part of everyday life in the music business. How well you deal with it may well make the difference between success and failure. It's a long road, so keep on truckin'... matto

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks for your comments Matto. We really do appreciate the reviewers comments also. I guess I was looking at it like..Pink and Gwen and Justin have songs written for them. The reviewer likes Jessica's vocals. He says both of these songs remind him of Kelly Clarkson or Britney, so why not forward knowing that she can have a song written for her or have one of her songs tweaked.....the listing was not asking for a songwriter but vocal chops. Under style the box ON TARGET FOR THIS LISTING was checked.But what you are saying is you think he doesn't feel the vocals are quite right for the listing..I guess I saw the 10 on the vocals and since it was asking for vocal chops..just didnt get why it wasnt forwarded. I dont want to seem unappreciative of the reviewer..just don't understand it. I guess I need to really sit down and figure out the difference in styles amongst the pop artists. I mean I can see why Avril and Jessica Simpson are different..but to me Kelly Clarkson can be just as edgy as Justin Timberlake or Gwen Stefani..so perhaps I need to study the market more. Likely Jessica knows! Heck I will just have to talk to her.Thanks for your thoughts. LeeBTW I do think he spelled Britney correctly..not sure what you are looking at.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Hi,I sure don't see the let down aspect of this. A solid bank of 1's would be a letdown. I see the review as being a short list of things that don't need to be done. Based on this review, it appears that the only thing that needs to be addressed is perhaps a closer reading or better interpretation of the listing or artists in the listing. I see it as telling you that if you spend a lot more time on production, etc, that you'd be wasting your time because that's not an issue. Sometimes reviews that eliminate things to worry about can be the best reviews. One of the most useful reviews I received (it actually changed everything for me) was a review similar to yours that said "I'm not forwarding your songs because they're not nice. I'm not forwarding them because they're too nice". That's pretty close to what the review is saying for you. Finding a listing looking for "nicer" songs seems like an easy fix.This is much better than being right on target but not up to the challenge musically. Nothing to be discouraged about. I don't think it'll be too long before we see the "got our first forward" post.Dave

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:24 pm

Ah Dave you are so sweet. I would love to write that "got our first forward" post.I guess I felt let down because we seemed so close..but there was no forward so I was thinking..geez unless its right on the button there will not be a forward and how often is one smack dab right on the button.Also Jessica is a newbie to writing. Writing takes a lot of talent and skill as you and Matto know and time helps. Well as much as she enjoys writing her goal is to be a SINGER and when she can't submit herself singing OPS (other people's songs - my abbreviation) well then its gonna be a lot tougher. In this case we assumed we could submit OPS because we were just starting here at TAXI and didn't know that unless a listing states otherwise you have to submit your own work and also the listing did not mention songwriting so we thought it was fine to submit an original song that she had demo'd for the writer and gave him full credit in the Broadjam listing..but for some reason the reviewer did not pick up on that and thought she wrote it.Just recently she found a wonderful songwriter to collaborate with and so hopefully she will be making some pretty music to submit in the near future..(had to order some gear so we could do professional recording quality at home).Anyway I feel a lot better now ..thanks guys!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:56 pm

slimcharm,thanks for puttting this on the forum. interesting to see what others are getting.congrats to Jessica on the great review, keep it up, girl.nomi