Appropriate submission?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Appropriate submission?

Post by nomiyah » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:05 pm

I have a question about this listing:CARIBBEAN SONGS & INSTRUMENTALS in all styles -- Reggae, Calypso, Zouk, Steel Drum/Pan, Salsa, etc. -- are needed by an LA-based Music Publishing Company that specializes in providing music for film/TV/interactive/multi-media projects. All tempos are OK. They asked us to be quite selective in what we forward, so please send only your very best. Great-sounding performances are a must! Broadcast quality needed [excellent-sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Dec. 27, 2005.TAXI # S051227CAI have produced songs for various Jamaican artists. I could submit a classic Reggae song for this listing. But I think some of the Reggaeton stuff is really strong and very popular right now. I haven't seen any listings with this catagory probably because it's such a new term (though I heard it first on a Buju Banton / Busta Rhymes collabo "Wicked Act" around 1990).My question for you, my friends, is for this listing do you think I should go for the currently hot sound of Reggaeton or stick with classic Reggae? Maybe I should splurge and submit one of each and see what happens?Thanks.Nomi

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Appropriate submission?

Post by davewalton » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:57 am

Hi Nomi,Because I'm out of the loop as far as Reggaeton goes, I found a site that talked about Regggaeton and gave some examples. I listened to music by Tego Calderon, Queen Ivy, Don Chezina, and Daddy Yankee.I don't have any particular facts to back this opinion, but I read this listing as wanting traditional versions of the styles they mention. Some of the Reggaeton I listened to was barely identifiable in terms of having some Reggae roots. If I were submitting, I might submit two traditional and one maybe with slight Reggaeton leanings. Too much to the Reggaeton side and the song might fit closer to Rap or Hip-Hop, based on the artists I listened to.Nothing concrete, just my gut feeling when I read the listing. I didn't get "we're looking to push the envelope" out of that listing. Dave

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:27 am

Nomi,my advice is not to second guess the listing. It does not mention reggaeton (nor dub or dancehall or such), so I would agree you should submit traditional sounding stuff.As far as submitting multiple tracks: if I had 3 similar sounding reggae songs, I would only submit one. But if I had a reggae song, a steeldrum song and a salsa song, I would submit them all (IF they were all great).

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:39 pm

Great feedback, taken to heart. Thanks for taking care of the new kid on the block.Love,Nomi