Are expensive guitars better

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

quietextrovert
Active
Active

Are expensive guitars better

Post by quietextrovert » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Hello all:My wifes best friend asked me to play the guitar at her wedding in April, and I got the green light to buy a new acoustic. Up 'till now I've been playing an $400 Ovation that I've had for years.I just left Guitar Center, and I am trying hard to like the expensive Taylor's and Breedlove guitars, but I cant honestly say that I fell in love with any of them. I tried the $4000 814ce, 614ce, and the higher end Breedlove, and I found myself returning to the $900 DR25.I really don't want to spend the money just because I have permission...or do I? Any thoughts from my fellow guitarist would be greatly appreciated.P.S. I just played the intro to Hearts Crazy On You on the Ovation, and I don't know...Stevie B

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Are expensive guitars better

Post by slideboardouts » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 pm

You've got to go with what feels right for you.My 12 string is a simon and patrick that only cost around $500 and it smokes all of the other 12 strings I've played, some costing much more. One time, at my local guitar shop, a guy brought in some no name 6 string acoustic that he got for free from Marlboro for sending in god knows how many cigarette UPCs... it played and sounded as good as any Martin on the wall.You really need to just trust your ears and fingers. Good luck, and happy shopping!-Steve

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:42 pm

I've played guitar professionally since 1973.With acoustic guitars, I think you get a better sound when you spend more money. As long as you stick to a classic quality brand like Martin, Taylor, etc.With electric guitars, you can get a lot more for less money, since the sound is not completely dependent on the guitar...you've got the amp, pedals, and your own fingers to shape the sound.My Mexican Strat was $449, and I figured I'd move up later. Never had to.I like the saying I heard over on the Harmony Central forum: "You can but a Standard Strat for $500 made in Mexico, by Mexican craftsmen; or you can buy a $1200 American Strat made in Los Angeles... by Mexican craftsmen."Anyway, with computer-controlled tools making these things, you can now get a pretty decent electric for $500 or less.

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 pm

March yourself directly to Willie's American Guitars in St. Paul, young man, and see if they have something wonderful in the back room, something used.http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfmSometimes I don't think a guitar's brand or pedigree means half of what we THINK it does...how it plays and sounds is all that matters. But Willie's always seems to find the gems.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm looking forward to buying a couple of these. They just look cool! And it's got a Bigsby. http://www.myrareguitars.com/airline2005models.htmlI also like Dan Electros, cause they look cool too.

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:10 pm

MK said:"Sometimes I don't think a guitar's brand or pedigree means half of what we THINK it does..."You and me both, brother!It's the playability and the sound. Sure some older guitars are just amazingly wonderful in that department; others sound and play worse than what you can buy new today for $500...but you still pay thousands for it if you don't know what you are doing. Maybe that's a large part of that market, eh? Bad, beat-up guitars for people who want to look like they have a classic.Speaking of St Paul guitar shops, I remember seeing Pete's Guitars on University back in the late 80s and knowing nothing about it, wondered how he made a living in a guitar shop in a converted frame house on a semi-industrial neighborhood. A sign in the window said, "By Appointment Only".It looked like a losing proposition.Turns out he dealt in prime quality vintage guitars and sold them all over the world to people like ZZ Top, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, George Harrison and The Who among many others.The local paper said George Harrison was in town and was seen filming video of Pete's from the Wendys parking lot nearby.Hehe...the last person I'd expect to meet walking along University Avenue!

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 pm

"Are expensive guitars better"??Yes.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:29 pm

I have a $1200 Guild, a $700 Martin, and a $200 Fender. I never liked the Guild... I had ordered it online and it just doesn't feel all that great. I love the Martin, the sound of it, the way it plays. I like Fender guitars in general, but this particular guitar is like playing on a piece of scrap wood. In all three cases, I'm not so sure that it comes down to how much I paid for it, but that each instrument (even the big names) has it's own character... what works for one person may not be all that desirable for another.Having said all that, though, in most cases you do get what you pay for. If I had the money, I'd be looking to spend it.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 pm

Feb 3, 2009, 8:16pm, crs7string wrote:"Are expensive guitars better"??Yes.ChuckIn most circumstances. I bought an '80 Takamkime acoustic with pickups, etc. and it's a real sweetheart. Paid about $800 for it back then. And I don't think It's gone up in price much.BUT, and this is HUGE, I bought a '63 Strat in the early 70's for $200.Value now!? BETWEEN $25 & 50k! I couldn't believe it, but it's true. --- I just had a volume pot repaced, and the tech was amazed how well they built guitars back then. He played my Strat, and said "NEVER sell this guitar! It's one of a kind."So, ya gotta judge for yourself. One tip that has always worked for me is to play the guitar unamplified. If it sounds good without an amp, it's a good guitar. THEN plug it in.Good Luck,Ern

cmrmurray
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cmrmurray » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 pm

I found that the main risk with less expensive acoustics is that they don't always affix the bridges properly (supposedly for fear of ruining the finish). This means that the bridge could eventually just come off from tension. Have a close look to make sure there isn't space between the bridge and the top of the guitar. Of the little corners they cut to make less expensive guitars, this seems to be one with the most potential for causing disappointment. Apart from that you can probably tell what you like in a guitar from playing.