Are these normally Dispatch ?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

neuman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Are these normally Dispatch ?

Post by neuman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey folks,

Here's my experience with it thus far. I joined taxi in the summer of 2012, and dispatch in the fall. I originally was a bit thrown off by the fast turnaround material in the regular listings, but as more dispatch came through, it seemed to be a distinct type of listing.

The fast turnaround, regular listings are often common genres, and as Russell said, things that people may have in their back pocket. Also, you normally have at least a couple days.

Dispatch has generally been (at least in my couple months working on it) less popular genres, and not music I'd expect people to have on hand. Also a couple days would be the maximum amount of time. Often a day. My shortest deal was a listing I received at lunch that was due by 4:30. (Had the contracts by the next day)

So the advice I've been giving to friends asking about it is generally this: If you've got your own studio, are versatile genre wise, and have a flexible, drop everything schedule when need be, you can definitely succeed through dispatch. Also, you've got to be decisive with your writing because the clock is ticking!

Hope this helps,

Neuman

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi Neuman - thanks :)

Your comments are very helpful, thank you :)

I signed up to receive the Dispatch Listings at the same time I wrote the last post on this thread - but so far I haven't received any at all. Maybe there haven't been any yet. I'll wait and see what kind things come through, and if I think we can do it - I will sign up fully for it :)

Thanks again - I am a lot clearer on it now.

Sláinte
Amanda (& Tony)
Tony Anderson | Taxi | YouTube | FB | Twitter |

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Neuman ... nice explanation!

I've been using Dispatch for a few years ... and for me, I still think it's worth it for the extra opportunities it provides. But I will definitely re-evaluate it every year at renewal time.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 am

Definitely get on the Dispatch email list before deciding... As others mentioned, if you see a Dispatch lead that you want to submit to, you can join at that time and the fee is pro-rated according to where you are in your regular membership year.

Taxi does not duplicate the general quick turn around listings and Dispatch ones-- at least not early on with respect to the client request. Occasionally, they will run a Dispatch listing because the client does want tunes quicky and later on, when the client wants to hear more material, run it as a regular listing. When they do that, they mention it in the listing (e.g. "We previously ran this as Dxxxxxxx and the client wants to hear more material")...

:D Casey

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for the clarification Casey :) We still haven't had any Dispatch Listings come through on our email yet - maybe there haven't been any ?

Amanda :)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm

TonyAnderson wrote:Thanks for the clarification Casey :) We still haven't had any Dispatch Listings come through on our email yet - maybe there haven't been any ?

Amanda :)
I don't recall any Dispatch emails recently. The level of activity varies.

Good luck!
:D Casey

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Ah great thanks Casey :)

Amanda

jaysoul
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jaysoul » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:08 am

Chiming in on this a bit late. I've been Dispatch member for at least 2 years and it is definitely not a huge amount of listings being sent out this way. It seems last so many months I've actually seen only a few (but that might be incorrect). Which makes me wonder about the relatively hefty extra charge in comparison to the value of normal Taxi membership (huge amount of listings, all the educational stuff, the Rally etc).

Also, sometimes it seems quite some really fast turnaround listings are in the general, not the Dispatch mailout.

So, I think i won't renew Dispatch and just jump on the mailing list again to see if there's anything in there that is right up my alley. Neuman summed it up it well though.
neuman wrote: So the advice I've been giving to friends asking about it is generally this: If you've got your own studio, are versatile genre wise, and have a flexible, drop everything schedule when need be, you can definitely succeed through dispatch. Also, you've got to be decisive with your writing because the clock is ticking!