Are you a Taxi HIP HOP Trap kind of GURU ?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Are you a Taxi HIP HOP Trap kind of GURU ?

Post by PhilRey » Fri May 25, 2018 1:15 am

Like many members here I guess, I have tracks returned because they do not perfectly fit the listing, or the temp tracks:
-sounds can be outdated very fast with this genres
-even Taxi's temp tracks can be outdated (from last year let's say !). You need to figure out by yourself (and I do not have enough hip hop culture to figure this out by myself).

So my question is, do you have any reliable source of samples, drums kits, libraries and other hip hop stuff so you are sure that you are using the proper sounds in your production ?

That would be VERY helpful - Thank you for stopping by - ;) Phil

SawtoothPorter
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Are you a Taxi HIP HOP Trap kind of GURU ?

Post by SawtoothPorter » Sun May 27, 2018 10:51 am

Not sure if someone is helping you in private with this and I am not a GURU...just learning how to make cues and instrumentals in this genre like you. However, I have had some good quick learnings doing the following:

Listen to A LOT...I mean a TON...of Hip Hop (you have to set aside time to listen deeply as well as get a breadth of the stuff). If you are looking for contemp listen to the Hip Hop in the Top 100 playlists on Spotify then make a radio out of those tracks. Also, find an up and coming or next in Hip Hop playlist that is created by a reliable source. Then listen! If you want to make hip hop you need to quickly immerse yourself in the culture of it...there is no shortcut to that (IMHO).

This is a good free resource: http://blog.imamusicmogul.com/ (and there are tons more)

Use your ears critically and find samples that match with ref tracks (or if the ref tracks are dated take a risk and use your own refs). For me, this was the most difficult part. There can be a lot of nuance from kick drum sample to kick drum sample and I wasn't focusing on that. I just shrugged and said...well...good enough. Would I do that with a guitar part? Hell no! I would nail the tone and spend an hour EQ'ing, re-amping and getting the reverb tail perfect if needed. So why get lazy with a hip-hop sample?

But...that's not all...there is the fact that when you nail a track it is just that...a track. Now (and this is where I am still learning big time) you have to turn that track into a cue or instrumental. It needs something over the top in place of the rap.

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 am

Thank you for stopping by ;)
Well.. I think I'm there too.. Listening to a lot of different tracks. Also listening to the forwaded tracks in this genre (some surprises there ...) on Taxi's blog.
Andy is helping in private also with a lot of reference ;) Super kind (and experienced) !

This is very challenging still..
-so many different sub-genres +
-different eras +
-like you said it, no vocals, so you need somehow to compensate... (with what ? Is it till going to be ok if I play this thing, with this sound etc ? ...)
-different use of these hiphop instrumentals in various medias and scenes, which mean different structures,, sets, moods...

Super tricky...
:shock:

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun May 27, 2018 7:00 pm

If you like Trap music, listen to it. If not, listen to something else. I would not force myself to love a genre of music.

There are so many styles of music that are under-represented out there. Find some of those that you like and make songs that are high quality and awesome to your particular tastes.