Armenian Electronica?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Armenian Electronica?

Post by davewalton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Quote:Definitely an improvement Dave! Good luck... (taking a bow) Thank you... Thank you...Asdvadzadour is now my new Armenian name.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:43 pm

Asdvadzadour,I like the tweaks you made in "Dance of the Scorpion. You may have a little trouble getting on the plane to the Rally with your new name. Largely due to the fact that it seems almost impossible to pronounce!!This was a somewhat challenging Dispatch listing. Here's my hat (or fez or whatever) I'm throwing in the ring:http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songind ... =14501I've named it "Oud to Cushak" (apparently cushak is a scale used that is the equivalent of a minor scale)Feedback is welcome.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Quote:Asdvadzadour,I like the tweaks you made in "Dance of the Scorpion. You may have a little trouble getting on the plane to the Rally with your new name. Largely due to the fact that it seems almost impossible to pronounce!!This was a somewhat challenging Dispatch listing. Here's my hat (or fez or whatever) I'm throwing in the ring:http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songind ... =14501I've named it "Oud to Cushak" (apparently cushak is a scale used that is the equivalent of a minor scale)Feedback is welcome.ChuckOh, very fun, Chuck! It's funky & danceable and has lots of charm. Good mix of ethnic & modern. Sounds just fine to me!!!I found this Dispatch Challenge to be a lot of fun. It was interesting to sit on Monday night with the midi keyboard trying out riffs and thinking... 'there's no way'... and ending up with something to submit. What's next?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm

I've been busy so haven't posted much, but have been following threads--- these Armenian ones have been interesting. Cool stuff. Listened to all three. Dave--- nice track, as usual. I'll eat my fez if it doesn't get forwarded. Are you using DUY wide? Also, some of those Stylus grooves really took on new life with the ethnic surroundings.Vicki -- you've come a long way girl! More ambient, but a very nice track. Mix sounded good too. One of your best so far I think-- I also agree with Matto - if it was my dime, I'd forward it.Chuck -- Of the three, yours was more subtly ethnic, but the groove and feel really created visuals for me. I could see detectives walking through a market place, in investigation mode (whatever that is). The melodic hits around :37 and thereafter were the only thing that bugged me. Seemed a bit too "cartoonish" maybe for the vibe of the track - but nice work!I wish I had time to play with this one, but alas, I'm too busy making music to make music Aub

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:50 am

Aub and Vikki,Thanks for listening and your comments. Vikki , I enjoyed your piece as well.Vikki, this was an interesting challenge. I started down one path with a bunch of electronica loops that (per one of my earlier posts) was turning out to absolutely suck!!! (although I still might finish it and submit, this listing is different enough that it could still work)I've always enjoyed the musicologist aspect of being a musician.By your and Dave's posts it sound like we all did a little research on Armenian music, the scales and instruments etc.Even if we don't get forwarded I've learned some stuff I didn't know a week ago. Because of having no control of the outcome on submitting to a listing, I've focused on enjoying the process of writing and recording. This one was a fun, but challenging process.Good luck on your submission.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:07 am

Dave, your piece is indeed a Scorpion Dance. The textures and dissonant elements are very tasty. This music makes me want to wrap myself in fresh white linen, put on a couple toe rings and dance around on my back deck! Very satisfying to bear witness to your progress. Aub's right Hummer, you've made a breakthrough in production. Sky's the limit now. Very cool track Chuck. Cushak. Learn something new everyday.best,bc

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:39 am

Quote:Asdvadzadour,I like the tweaks you made in "Dance of the Scorpion. You may have a little trouble getting on the plane to the Rally with your new name. Largely due to the fact that it seems almost impossible to pronounce!!This was a somewhat challenging Dispatch listing. Here's my hat (or fez or whatever) I'm throwing in the ring:http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songind ... =14501I've named it "Oud to Cushak" (apparently cushak is a scale used that is the equivalent of a minor scale)Oh, you snuck a nice one in while I wasn't looking. I'm facinated by the three interpretations. I'm hoping that if they were only looking for the hard, street-gritty music that's usually on there that they would have mentioned that. Since that kind of style wasn't specifically mentioned, I'm hopeful that some of the lighter styles that we've done will be good enough to open the door at least.Good luck to all three of us! Dave

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:46 am

Quote:Vicki -- you've come a long way girl! More ambient, but a very nice track. Mix sounded good too. One of your best so far I think-- I also agree with Matto - if it was my dime, I'd forward it.AubQuote:Aub's right Hummer, you've made a breakthrough in production. Sky's the limit now. bcThanks for the listen & the encouraging feedback. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:41 am

Hummingbird, Dave, Chuck,Your pieces sound great. Good ethnic vibe and very groovular. Good luck on the listing.You inspired me to pick up the challenge.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:20 am

Quote:Hummingbird, Dave, Chuck...You inspired me to pick up the challenge.OK everybody... QUIT INSPIRING JOHN!!! (very nice track by the way)