Armenian Electronica?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Armenian Electronica?

Post by davewalton » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:28 pm

ARMENIAN SONGS & INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Music Supervisor of an award-winning TV drama about Los Angeles-based "rogue" cops that will begin its 6th season soon. He wants current/mainstream material - Pop, Rock, Rap, Electronica, etc. - that is distinctly Armenian. He's not seeking traditional-style Armenian folk music - your material must be very contemporary. This should be interesting. I probably won't be submitting Changed my mind... I'm DEFINITELY be submitting specifically BECAUSE I have no idea of what modern "Armenian Electronica" might sound like. This could be fun. I'll post what I come up with tomorrow.Anyone here specializing in that genre?

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Armenian Electronica?

Post by allends » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Quote:Anyone here specializing in that genre? Just when I thought they saved the best listings for Dispatch!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:32 pm

hmmm.... Latin Metal, Latin Rap, Armenian Electronica. What's next? Icelantic Hawwaain Hip Hop?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Brazilian Jungle (deforestation mix)
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:30 am

Dave,I'm going to try and develop a piece as well. Unlike the French laundry listing, I can't imagine there will be thousands of submissions. Hence, possible increase in success of a forward.I googled Armenian music and found info on the scales and instruments used in Armenian music. Much like Arabic or Asia music, playing the notes of those scales with a decent sample of an indigenious instrument, and played over some electronica loops, pulsing synths etc.:Instant Armenian Electronica (possibly) ( It could absolutely Suck!!!)We'll see, by Friday.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Quote:ARMENIAN SONGS & INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Music Supervisor of an award-winning TV drama about Los Angeles-based "rogue" cops that will begin its 6th season soon. He wants current/mainstream material - Pop, Rock, Rap, Electronica, etc. - that is distinctly Armenian. He's not seeking traditional-style Armenian folk music - your material must be very contemporary. Not exactly my specialty (I had to look on a map to see where Armenia was). Here is "Armenian Electronica" for your basic Los Angeles rogue cop show, at least as it's done here in Missouri... Dance Of The Scorpionwww.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/DanceOfTheScorpion.mp3I was going to call it "Wild-Ass Guess" but I didn't think that title reflected a lot of confidence or the mood either for that matter.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Hey Dave, that sounds suitably Armenian...I guess ...the only thing I would change is, I'd start it with an obviously oriental lick right off the bat (maybe filtered or stuttery or treated in some other electronic way) so you're not making the music supervisor wait for the "Armenian" part.I think that would improve your chances of getting the track used.If you have time to do one more I'd try something harder, as this particular show tends to be pretty "in your face" and they seem to like hard hitting, street type stuff.I don't have time to submit to this, but I think the way to really nail this listing would be to find somebody who can sing or rap in Armenian. Or even just say a phrase suitable for electronica treatment a la TCM.Cause I would bet they'll get a lot of "oriental leaning" instrumental pieces, but very little stuff with vocals as it's such a specialized need.matto

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Hey Dave - I like this a lot. Cool rhythms, a nice sort of Egyptian flavour & cool intensity in the synths. I could definitely hear this as background music in a cop show. Very neat modulations incorporating the Eastern scale tones (I couldn't figure out how to do that on western instruments.) Great job, and even if you don't get a forward on this one (and I think you will if it's Armenian enough) you have another awesome piece in your cataloque.cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 am

Quote:I agree with Matto's comment. The intro is more industrial than mainstream for me and takes about 25 seconds to hit the distinct feel they are looking for. The stringed lead track comes in at around 00:20 and the song becomes more subdued and loses some energy.Perhaps a synth lead replacing or adding to the current flute and string leads might be interesting and give it more intensity. You might also want to try speeding up the bpm and seeing how it sounds. I also like the vocal selection. Even a well chosen sampled loop could work if you find the right one. I'll also try to listen to yours Vikki. It's not playing for me right now.I changed the beginning so that the native "Armenian" instruments are the first thing you hear before going "modern" and darker. I also tried to make it sound a little "harder" than it was.Unfortunately that's all the time I've got for this...www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/DanceOf ... on.mp3Best of luck to Vikki (and myself as well) Dave

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:06 pm

Definitely an improvement Dave! Good luck...