AScap only ?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

AScap only ?

Post by hummingbird » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 am

INSTRUMENTAL TV PROMO BEDS are needed immediately by a very established Production Music Library/Publisher who has signed and placed dozens of TAXI writers/songs. For this listing, you MUST be an ASCAP affiliated writer because of the specifications of this company's needs. Please only submit if your Performing Rights Organization (PRO) is ASCAP! This Publisher is needing a package of 5-20 Instrumental TV Promo beds that are each 3-5 seconds in length. In other words, each song submission would need to be a montage of sorts - a collection of 3-5 second Instrumental beds. Please do not include more than 20 segments per song submission and be sure that the sound file reads as one complete song and not disconnected pieces (montage). For the company to get a sense of your capabilities, you may submit 1-3 "packages" online or per CD (5-20 segments, 3-5 seconds each). These sound beds can be varied in stylistic approach, but be sure that there are NO vocals for this one! They only want to hear current-sounding instrumentals - Orchestral is okay, but be sure the style is contemporary. Broadcast quality is an absolute must and performances/arrangements must be great. You'll want to be prepared for the company to request additional edits and segment lengths should they want to use your talents and material. Please submit one to three songs (montage of 5-20 segments that are each 3-5 seconds in length) online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Noon PST on Monday, September 29, 2008. TAXI #D080929TV---Okay, my dumb question is -- when I joined SOCAN, I was asked to choose my US affiliate, which is ASCAP. So I'm assuming I can't submit to this but I'm not sure.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: AScap only ?

Post by remmet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 pm

I saw this too and was disappointed at such a restriction. (I used to be in ASCAP but switched to BMI for reasons I can't quite remember. Maybe I'll switch back at some point.)Vikki - If you have material available for this dispatch listing, I'd definitely ask Taxi if you're eligible. Richard

flood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:15 am

I just read pretty thoroughly on ASCAP and pro's in general, in Jason Blume's book. Of course that doesn't make me any sort of expert, but the knowledge is still pretty fresh.I would think you CAN submit to this if SOCAN has a collection agreement with ASCAP, which seems to be what your post suggests.In this case, ASCAP would collect the money on your behalf. I imagine they would send it to SOCAN, who would then send it on to you.You may have to register your song differently, or even a second time with a new form, or at least inform SOCAN that it will be in use under ASCAP.Have you called SOCAN? Or TAXI?I think that cases like this are one reason why international PROS collect for one another.

flood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:17 am

Ah, just saw the date on this.Did you pursue it?Curious about how it came out.