ASCAP question - I always register all my tunes

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

samsome123

ASCAP question - I always register all my tunes

Post by samsome123 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:07 pm

So as soon i finish a song

I head onto ASCAP and since i have both writer and publisher accounts...i put 50% of it on my writer, and 50% on my publishing account

Question:
When listings here on taxi say that 100% of publishing will go to the company (if signed).

So does that mean i need to go back to my ASCAP account and edit that work and hand over my 50% of publishing to this company?

can you please confirm this is the case?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: ASCAP question - I always register all my tunes

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Typically those of us submitting to music libraries and publishers don't register the tracks with our PRO because we know the entity at the other end will want to do so, to ensure everyone gets their allotted shares. I don't know exactly what happens if you have already registered the track's publishing, but I imagine *they* will want to do the registration with the applicable PROs so they can confirm it is done correctly. Others may have more info on this.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:51 am

I used to register all the tunes I submitted to listings, but stopped when I realised libraries do that. Now I only register if it is a "direct to supervisor" listing
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 am

General advice would be NOT to register it unless you are collecting the publishing yourself such as a direct to Supe situation.

The LIbrary that signs it will register it with their PRO so they can collect the publishing and assign you to collect the writers share. So it's either looked at as a 50-50 split of the whole pie, or sometimes described as 100% Publishing & 100% Writers to each party, so the whole pie is 200% but you still only have half each.

I honestly don't know how you would deal with signing any of them to an Exclusive Library if you've already registered them, however I do know of one Taxi friendly Non-Ex Library that asks you to register it ( as some sort of 'proof' that it's yours )' , and THEN re-registers it themselves anyway.

Maybe speak to your PRO as it could be a deal breaker at the point of signing some stuff Exclusively - I would have all my ducks in a row ahead of time so it doesn't cause any issues if a Library comes knocking

Mark

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Stop registering your own tracks!

~~Matt

tastebudjohnny

Post by tastebudjohnny » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:17 pm

superkons wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:51 am
I used to register all the tunes I submitted to listings, but stopped when I realised libraries do that. Now I only register if it is a "direct to supervisor" listing
So, are we talking about a specific recorded performance of a song or THE song; as in the original copy write?

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:40 am

tastebudjohnny wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:17 pm
superkons wrote:
So, are we talking about a specific recorded performance of a song or THE song; as in the original copy write?
From what I know, the performance is irrelevant, unless it is a totally different version which stands on its own

tastebudjohnny

Post by tastebudjohnny » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 am

i thank You...

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:34 am

tastebudjohnny wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 am
i thank You...
Pleasure

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:09 am

tastebudjohnny wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:17 pm
superkons wrote:
I am adding a comment because you mention copyright and I wanted to make it clear that you aren't registering a copyright with a PRO, and there is no recording submitted.

We are talking about registering your song or instrumental track with your Performing Rights Organization (ASCAP, BMI, SOCAN, and so on) for payment if it is broadcast in a media such as television, film, radio, etc. These royalties are typically shared with the entity you sign the track with (music library, music publisher) (ie the composer gets 'writer's share' and the library gets 'publisher's share'). You have to 'own' the song AND the master in order to submit to these entities, unless they have specifically requested cover songs. The arrangement of a Cover Song can be registered with a PRO, the percentage of royalties received will be less because the owner of the song will receive their writer's share while the arranger gets performance royalties.

I hope that makes some sense. I could be talking through my hat.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website