At the end of the line, here...everything returned!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Re: At the end of the line, here...everything returned!

Post by lgstarr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Thank you!

Earlier, Vikki said that "Peer to Peer" is where I would post songs that I haven't yet submitted. I have two that I would like to do that with, but I haven't yet seen any listings for jazz songs though.

I had a great Table I created in Word that I just can't upload as an attachment (I'm allowed to submit attachments, but it wouldn't accept the file name which, in Word, is .docx so I can't imagine what file attachments they are referring to if you can't even submit a Word doc!

So, in trying to post the information in the Table (as I already did) it spread all the information out and made it hard to read. Plus, I can't imagine where I'd stick the entire listing text in the middle of all that...which means I'm confused how to share this stuff right now.

I really don't know if this will work for me given my particular situation. Our studio has been down for years, and there's no way I can afford endless demos on our retirement budget, plus we left L.A. (too expensive!) and moved to Arizona three years ago and I no longer have access to my "resources" (all my friends in the industry--singers, guitar players, etc. etc. which have moved or died or just disappeared along the way).

I was obsessive about music my whole life and so I had nothing in my bucket list but to do something with my music since the recordings (and all those lead sheets and charts!) will just go in the trash and burn--we have no children and no relatives.

I had some great feedback along the way in the past (and some great reviews in the major trades) but now just rejection.

Hummingbird had a beautiful blog post about not wanting to face losing your dreams, but if I hadn't joined Taxi I might have been able hang on to the dream that I was good songwriter. I think I just blew that one (although I'll always love listening to my music--hate my cooking; love my music). Plus, my pro bass-player husband (and BMI writer) who, although having a Masters from George Washington University back East in Music, loves hard rock and Led Zeppelin but still cries at some of my songs and lyrics. Actually, that's pretty darned cool.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Linda, here's what to do:

-go to your submission history, click on the listing number next to the return, a little box pops up with the listing text. Highlight it, copy it and then paste one listing in the box here.

- below the listing text, give us the name of the song you submitted

- go to your file and find your lyrics, highlight them, copy and paste them.

- make it easy for us by keeping each song and listing in at least a separate post with the screener's feedback

like in one reply box or in a new thread, post:

(A) LISTING TEXT

#1 SONG SUBMITTED
-name
-lyrics

FEEDBACK/REASON FOR RETURN:

===============

#2 SONG SUBMITTED
-name
-lyrics

===============

#3 SONG SUBMITTED
-name
-lyrics

===============

Just remember, for most of us 50-75% of what we do gets rejected. Does that mean we aren't songwriters or composers? Nope. Pitching to listings is a skill that takes time to acquire and even then, we get Rs. That's the nature of the biz. Don't let it get you down. Do let it make you determined. If the production you have right now isn't fitting current opps, then you find collaborators or you get that home studio going again. There are answers to every problem if we are willing to listen and learn and do the work. This is a great community of people struggling just like you to have their music work for them. I'm glad you're here (and you are welcome whether you stay in TAXI or not). Hang in.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Linda,
Earlier, Vikki said that "Peer to Peer" is where I would post songs that I haven't yet submitted. I have two that I would like to do that with, but I haven't yet seen any listings for jazz songs though.
Hmmm... It does sound as though you have some songs that you're trying to fit to the listings (rather than writing to match the listings), and while that can work it will always be a waiting game. I've seen jazz instrumentals from time-to-time, but I've no idea how often jazz songs come up. Perhaps stripping vocals out and submitting instrumentals might work (although some editing would probably be needed, and I can see that you have some difficulties with that too. :(
I really don't know if this will work for me given my particular situation. Our studio has been down for years, and there's no way I can afford endless demos on our retirement budget, plus we left L.A. (too expensive!) and moved to Arizona three years ago and I no longer have access to my "resources" (all my friends in the industry--singers, guitar players, etc. etc. which have moved or died or just disappeared along the way).
My thoughts here are to get yourself set up with some new technology to do-it-yourself. It might be a steep learning curve, but you can use recording software on a computer without spending a fortune - there's a huge amount of legitimate stuff for free these days. You might need to find a mentor - place an ad for a computer whizz-kid, I'll be there's one before you reach the end of the block! :) Better still, find a local recording studio and ask for help finding musicians with IT skills - there'll be loads! That might also help with collaboration, and maybe even get your rockin' bass playing hubby some pals to jam with. How about singing on someone elses tracks? Anything could happen if you put yourslef out there.
I was obsessive about music my whole life and so I had nothing in my bucket list but to do something with my music since the recordings (and all those lead sheets and charts!) will just go in the trash and burn--we have no children and no relatives.
That would be a great shame. Maybe you just have to grasp the nettle and be willing to go for it. I'm in the UK, so what would I know, but I doubt Arizona is a musical desert too! :lol:
I had some great feedback along the way in the past (and some great reviews in the major trades)
Well, there ya go! Make it happen again!
Hummingbird had a beautiful blog post about not wanting to face losing your dreams, but if I hadn't joined Taxi I might have been able hang on to the dream that I was good songwriter. I think I just blew that one
No, you just showed that your existing songs didn't work for the listings you chose. That's all.
Plus, my pro bass-player husband (and BMI writer) who, although having a Masters from George Washington University back East in Music, loves hard rock and Led Zeppelin but still cries at some of my songs and lyrics. Actually, that's pretty darned cool.
Yes its is! You already have the greatest prize of all! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

https://soundcloud.com/userLGSTARR

I'm still listening, this is theater music. Broadway

"This World of Yours" jazzy

My favorite is "Picking Up the Pieces", an Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice style song.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lgstarr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Pvgeldrop wrote:Without having the opportunity to listen to the specific tracks and find the related listings, one recurring comment seems to be that the songs don't fit the listings. Did you use already existing material, or did you write specifically for these listings?
Only one criticism said directly that it didn't match the listing...but I imagine they all add up to something of the sort.

These are songs I've had for a long time. My writing days are over unless I can bring in enough money to restart my studio (but at 71, my energy is nothing like it was when I was writing all the time and in the business). I just don't want to let these songs die without a fight! Who knows--maybe I'll have a burst of success and energy (there is someone in their '90's who is a member here!!).

--Linda

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lgstarr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Len911 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/userLGSTARR

I'm still listening, this is theater music. Broadway

"This World of Yours" jazzy

My favorite is "Picking Up the Pieces", an Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice style song.
Wow--you made my day :-) I did write much of my music for two musicals that were performed in Los Angeles theaters in the '80's to great reviews...just never got to Broadway.

"This World of Yours" was written outside of the plays and was chosen by Natalie Cole's husband/producer (he did "Unforgettable" and other albums) for her to record. This was during my last year working at MCA RECORDS (after 13 1/2 years there) BUT it turned out to be the last year of their marriage, too -- MY DAMNED LUCK!! BTW, Frank Sinatra's guitarist Ron Anthony is playing the bossa nova guitar for this demo.

I just now posted the two "Returns" I got on "Picking Up The Pieces" which you said was your favorite...if you get a chance, take a look.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 pm

lgstarr wrote:My writing days are over unless I can bring in enough money to restart my studio (but at 71, my energy is nothing like it was when I was writing all the time and in the business). I just don't want to let these songs die without a fight! Who knows--maybe I'll have a burst of success and energy (there is someone in their '90's who is a member here!!).

--Linda
If you can make it to the Road Rally, I think you'd be surprised at the various ages of the TAXI members who are there. I know quite a few successful composers or songwriters and many of them are over 50.

I remember in particular being at an open mic at a Rally a few years ago and a wonderful lady who must have been late 60s or even later slayed us all with a rendition of a song she'd written.

I don't think there's any age limit to success (an 83 year old composer won best score last Academy awards). It's just being willing to keep learning and being creative. Glad you're here!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Linda, I'm 55, and honestly, health wise I feel washed up,lol! I know I don't have a lot of energy! :cry:

Probably the best thing at this stage is to find a collaborator. Essentially, if you have a usb midi keyboard, and a notation program or simple daw so you can input midi and send a midi file.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Or even just provide melody and lyrics to someone who can produce singer/songwriter style or another genre in which your songs fit. We don't see 'pop-classical' a lot but it's a possible with the right production, IMO.

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lgstarr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:39 pm

:D -- your positive attitude and encouragement are really much appreciated as is your practical advice for navigating Taxi and this forum! Thank you.

--Linda