Attn. Canadians

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Attn. Canadians

Post by billg » Wed May 27, 2009 7:40 am

Wade got some songs signed by a publisher in the US and ask me if I would hit you guys up for some help . . . .what IRS form does he need, a W-8 or a W-8ben? It's something to do with foreigners being exempt from paying the IRS. Anyone know?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Attn. Canadians

Post by hummingbird » Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 am

May 27, 2009, 10:40am, billg wrote:Wade got some songs signed by a publisher in the US and ask me if I would hit you guys up for some help . . . .what IRS form does he need, a W-8 or a W-8ben? It's something to do with foreigners being exempt from paying the IRS. Anyone know?Suggest he apply for a ITIN. He'll need to get a certified copy of his passport, and a letter from the publisher, in order to get the ITIN. Takes about 6 weeks."IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.Examples of individuals who need ITINs include: Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN"I think, if I remember right, if you make less than $3,500 and tax is withheld @ source, you file a US tax return and get the money back. If you make over $3,500 and tax is withheld @ source, you file a US tax return and they keep the $. You then can claim any tax paid to the US as a foreign tax credit.http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/ ... 87,00.html(PS - I checked, the last time I did this (in 2008) before applying for the ITIN it was a W-9 form)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks. What a complicated mess.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 am

May 27, 2009, 11:36am, billg wrote:Thanks. What a complicated mess.I freaked out at first too. But it ended up being really easy. I went to the passport office with my passport, and I had the certified copy within 5 days (it's free). In the meantime I filled out the ITIN application forum and got a letter from the publisher stating that they might be withholding tax on future income from music use. Mailed it in.Not happy about having to file two tax returns, though
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am

I wish we could all go to a system like thishttp://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?p....&a ... n=trueyeah, I know . . . ain't gonna happen.

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 am

With ya on that Bill.....Wouldn't that be nice..no more filing taxes..........Read yesterday about a proposal floating around to introduce a national sales tax on top of the taxes we have now........They don't seem to get it somehow......guess that's why they're politicians and we're not......Derek