Audio interface recommendation: Audient iD14

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Audio interface recommendation: Audient iD14

Post by jessecarrigan » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 am

I recently had to replace my Apogee Duet FireWire after ~12 years of solid service (RIP). I did a fair amount of research and asking around, and landed on the Audient iD14. If you're in the market for an interface I think it's a pretty good one. Feels solid, quiet preamps, good AD/DA converters. If you need something that records at resolutions higher than 96kHz you'll need to look elsewhere, but otherwise I'm really happy with it. I considered going with the new Apogee Duet 3 but read a lot of users having problems with it, and it seemed like a dicey proposition for a $650 interface.

One small feature that was a surprise is the JFET transistor they use for the instrument input. It breaks up 'musically' when the signal is high enough, a bit like a tube amp. When I was recording some guitar I tried to push the gain up and I just kept turning the knob and the gain wouldn't go any higher, but the waveform of the recording looked like a block. But it didn't sound like a block - it still sounded like a nicely distorted guitar. I don't know that I would want to do that on a regular basis but I'm interested to experiment with it more.

Check it out if you need a desktop audio interface that's around the $300 mark. I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. (Not sponsored by Audient or anything, just a happy customer.)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Audio interface recommendation: Audient iD14

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm

I have it's little Brother the ID4 as I only need one input, but it's a great interface for not a lot of money..it replaced something 4x the price and sounds better

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Audio interface recommendation: Audient iD14

Post by feaker66 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:32 am

Hi I have the 14. My kids gave it to me for my birthday. They read up on it and stuff. I wasn't smart enough to get it to work. This December I headed for my winter home and brought it with me by mistake for my winter studio. I finally figured it out and really like it. I will have to try out that di input for a distorted guitar. Excited to try it and thanks for posting this
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613