Audio Interface recommendations and advice please.

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

treesbygb
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Audio Interface recommendations and advice please.

Post by treesbygb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Guys,
after splashing the cash I'm now all set! I've now got the TC electronics impact twin. Great sound, superb compressor but also I can direct reverb to the singers headphones and also adjust the singing input to backing track ratio, so they can now hear themselves in the mix! The problem was the ratio between the two, rather than the overall volume of the headphones, sorry if that didn't come across. My first singer said it sounded like being in a studio! Cheeky, but I take that as compliment!

I love the reverb on this thing, any ideas on how I can use it as a plug in as I assume it's software driven?

Thanks as always for your help.
Gary

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:38 pm

treesbygb wrote: any ideas on how I can use it as a plug in as I assume it's software driven?
....you need to get your DAW to recognize your new software to use it as a plug in. Try "update plug ins" or some such command that is probably accessible from a drop down menu. Good luck!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:10 pm

It comes with three plug-ins:
- M40 Studio Reverb
- Assimilator
- ResFilter

Which are all REALLY great go-to plugs!
They should be on the CD that came with it.
Ceo of my own life

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:14 am

treesbygb wrote:Hi Guys,
after splashing the cash I'm now all set! I've now got the TC electronics impact twin. Great sound, superb compressor but also I can direct reverb to the singers headphones and also adjust the singing input to backing track ratio, so they can now hear themselves in the mix! The problem was the ratio between the two, rather than the overall volume of the headphones, sorry if that didn't come across. My first singer said it sounded like being in a studio! Cheeky, but I take that as compliment!

I love the reverb on this thing, any ideas on how I can use it as a plug in as I assume it's software driven?

Thanks as always for your help.
Gary

I was going to suggest the Mackie BlackJack, as the two Mackie interfaces I have (Satellite and Blackbird) sound better than any of the others in my collection, but being able to route reverb and mix back to the singer is a nice feature. I did figure out how to do this with my Mackies but there is a slight delay that some might find disconcerting.

Cam

treesbygb
Impressive
Impressive

Post by treesbygb » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for the advice and posts. Just a quick update, the Impact twin has a great sound and features, but now the midi has stopped working. I've been on their forum and it seems to be a common problem with no definite solution. I've now had to buy a midi to usb cable to get midi that way. Still waiting to hear back from TC electronics customer support. I've wasted so much time, checking all the individual components, drivers and DAW settings etc. I'm very disappointed with it now.

Off to look for the plug ins!!!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:52 am

Sorry to hear that. I never use the midi in the soundcard, I run it through my midi keyboard in stead, which has USB out to the computer. Maybe that could be a temporary fix for you?
Ceo of my own life

treesbygb
Impressive
Impressive

Post by treesbygb » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:05 am

Thanks Magne,
yes I'm using a midi to usb cable and that is working, but resent the extra £££'s that cost! Still waiting to hear from customer support.

Thanks Kitchen sink.
I did just that , I went into my plug ins manager and loaded the folders from the poduct/programmes file, and I've now got them!
Good idea!

Gary