with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Audio Quality Lowered after Uploading in Taxi Website

Post by subinthompson » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Dear Taxi Users,

Has anyone noticed there is a quality change in the files you upload in TAXI? Or does TAXI have a suggested audio quality that it has requested?
I just happen to listen to the audio file that I uploaded in Taxi just now.
It seems like the audio quality was considerably lower when compared to playing the same file in my local computer.

I just checked the properties of the file and it seems to be different.
I am also attaching a picture for your reference.
Quality change.jpg
Quality change.jpg (138.47 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
The below picture is the properties of the same file before uploading to taxi and the one downloaded from taxi
Quality change 2.jpg
Quality change 2.jpg (114.66 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Original file bitrate is 192kbps and file downloaded from taxi is 128kbps - There is considerable/ perceivable quality degradation especially at the high frequencies (eg when listening to hi hats)
Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks,
Subin

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Audio Quality Lowered after Uploading in Taxi Website

Post by GBall » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 pm

If there is a CONSIDERABLE difference in perceived quality in the high hats as you say, (Never mind the difference in bit rate) I would tend to look for a problem elsewhere.

JMO.

Flame wars about audio quality not withstanding, the difference is not huge, especially for the relatively hot (small) dynamic range that is still expected for finished tracks. Lots of people have some amazing stuff uploaded here.

My uploaded tracks sound pretty much just like they do in iTunes on my local box, bitrate not withstanding. I used to fight that kind of problem until I fixed some things with my monitoring setup - the problem was basically that my mixes didn't translate as they should have.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:50 pm

I was just posting this same question in another forum.

I thought it was actually my mix, and I went back and redid the mix, and uploaded. Since it's filled with percussion and cymbals, I noticed a huge difference in the sound.

I would think this affects the way a screener hears the piece.

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 pm

GBall wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 pm
If there is a CONSIDERABLE difference in perceived quality in the high hats as you say, (Never mind the difference in bit rate) I would tend to look for a problem elsewhere.

JMO.

Flame wars about audio quality not withstanding, the difference is not huge, especially for the relatively hot (small) dynamic range that is still expected for finished tracks. Lots of people have some amazing stuff uploaded here.

My uploaded tracks sound pretty much just like they do in iTunes on my local box, bitrate not withstanding. I used to fight that kind of problem until I fixed some things with my monitoring setup - the problem was basically that my mixes didn't translate as they should have.
Thanks for the reply GBall,
I wasn't concerned about the bitrate until I heard a perceivable difference. I happened to check it (the numbers) only after I heard the difference, and it proved me right.
Moreover, I was listening to two different files with the same setup. (I have an acoustically treated room with decent pair of monitors and my mixes always translate very well) So, we can negate the fact about the setup.

Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:30 pm

BradGray wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:50 pm
I was just posting this same question in another forum.

I thought it was actually my mix, and I went back and redid the mix, and uploaded. Since it's filled with percussion and cymbals, I noticed a huge difference in the sound.

I would think this affects the way a screener hears the piece.
Hi Brad,
I am glad that you noted the same! Yes indeed. I think this would impact a screeners judgement if the track has a lot of information in the high frequencies.

Subin

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 am

Just because it DOWNLOADS at a lower bit rate does mean that Taxi screeners listen at a lower bitrate.

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:39 am

ttully wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 am
Just because it DOWNLOADS at a lower bit rate does mean that Taxi screeners listen at a lower bitrate.

Hi ttully,

It's not just the downloads. its after the upload in taxi, to be precise. The taxi player itself sounds different than the original file that's in my computer. I downloaded it to verify. And I believe that is what the screeners listen to.

Subin

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am

Taxi screeners have access to the backend.

Tim

RobScruggs

Post by RobScruggs » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 am

I noticed this too. When I posted mp3 files and played them back through Taxi they sounded a little less there.
However, when I submitted and listened to a WAV file track through Taxi player it sounded spot on just like the original!!
Robbie
"Long ago I heard someone say something about everyman." JB

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:26 pm

RobScruggs wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 am
I noticed this too. When I posted mp3 files and played them back through Taxi they sounded a little less there.
However, when I submitted and listened to a WAV file track through Taxi player it sounded spot on just like the original!!
Robbie
Thats great to know Robbie. Back to good old wave files then. The metadata is changed to taxi format anyway. Thanks so much!

Subin