Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Automated Creation of Stems, Alt mixes, and Cuts

Post by GBall » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:59 am

Paulie wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:16 pm
I assume this is a PC-friendly app, not a Mac app? For Mac users, long time Taxi veteran CK Barlow has an intro course on Keyboard Maestro, a very powerful scripting editor that lets you create myriad automated tasks. Pretty sure she has one to create alt mixes... it's a cool tool, but not for beginner composers not familiar with how to automate processes or deal with scripts, etc.
It's Multi-platform, so it doesn't matter which O/S. I'm not meaning to try to convince anyone - I posted just to gauge interest and the low level of interest seems pretty clear - and so now is my conscience. :)

Not to ignore the questions though: It doesn't require a DAW at all actually. It is not scripting or automating buttons or features in another program but is self-contained. It frees up my main machine to do something else for the duration and is a one button task for me to do all the tasks, all at once: Masters, stems, alts, cuts, and then to recursively make stems and alts for those cuts - for all the tracks in an album or your whole catalog that's what you need done.

PLEASE THOUGH...... In no way am I saying that I'm any sort of expert: I'm not! And I do very much appreciate the experience you're sharing here for lots of reasons.

As to the ease of making 30 or 15 second cuts: I think that depends a lot on what you're writing and how you wrote it - plus the style you're writing for. The expectations and challenges of an instrumental trailer versus a pop song with vocals being different, that sort of thing. There is art in every aspect for sure, but it is less hard to automate in cases where the edit points could be precisely planned. And situations where it's a whole other thing.

It probably matters for my personal perspective, that I'm using timecode-based hit points from almost I before I put down the first note. That part of the process is not something that's any extra work for me or that I'm figuring out later - I just refer to them. I'm also happy use scoring features like "find the right tempo between these two points so that they land exactly where I need them to land". :)