Back in town

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Elderman
Active
Active

Back in town

Post by Elderman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Just coming back to Taxi after a few years. Still trying to figure how this all works. Just released a new record in November so I have some songs out there. I'm semi retired after 40 years. My children are now adults and told me that it was time to get my music out there. I don't perform much now but played Greenwich Village during the Folk era. Plus I was in a band during the 80's CBGS etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. If anything I'd like to connect with like minded people. Songwriting is my passion. Would love to hear from you. My name is J.Owen Smith. Pleased to meet you.

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Back in town

Post by lgstarr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Songwriting is my passion too!

I lived and worked in L.A. from 1971 onwards and had a lot resources for demos and musicians (I was one and in a lot of bands).

Never had children to divert me away from this, just finally had to go into the computer field to make money...and now, retired with my husband in Arizona (since 2014) I have no way to make demos anymore so I just don't write because it would be too frustrating and, hey: what's the point?

I am getting some forwards for some of my old stuff, though, which was my main goal in joining Taxi because I still really do care about my songs.

You, however, are in much better place (just released a new set of songs) which means you can stay in the game AND keep current (plus, you also have a family).

So good luck and enjoy :-)

I just got drafted into playing at my church which I've been trying to avoid for a couple of years although my husband has become their regular bass player...it never ends :-)

Elderman
Active
Active

Post by Elderman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Thank you for the inspiration. Hoping to get this thing up and running soon. Working on new material while trying to get the recorded stuff out there into the world. Everyday I'm grateful I have this passion. It has enriched my life tremendously. Wold love to hear you're music some time. Songs are like children.

Be well

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lgstarr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Elderman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm
Thank you for the inspiration. Hoping to get this thing up and running soon. Working on new material while trying to get the recorded stuff out there into the world. Everyday I'm grateful I have this passion. It has enriched my life tremendously. Wold love to hear you're music some time. Songs are like children.

Be well
If you ever want to listen: I have some songs (demos) on SoundCloud and almost all of my other demos here on the free site Taxi provides. I have a bunch of others that never got demoed.

Forgot to subscribe and just now saw your resonse :-)

--Linda

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 am

Elderman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm
I don't perform much now but played Greenwich Village during the Folk era.
I bet that was something! I lived in the village for a couple of years... such rich history. Wish I could go back in time and be a fly on the wall
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lgstarr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm

annayarbrough wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 am
Elderman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm
I don't perform much now but played Greenwich Village during the Folk era.
I bet that was something! I lived in the village for a couple of years... such rich history. Wish I could go back in time and be a fly on the wall
I have a friend who lived there back then--he said it was great.

--Linda