Bad songs which became HITS

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Bad songs which became HITS

Post by horacejesse » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Quote:For some reason, you want to judge artists (who's music you don't like), as bums unworthy of your respect. Why does not liking someone else's music 'cause you to throw negativity around? You just sound angry, and most of all unapproachable. We don't agree. Please stop puling about my posts.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:21 pm

Quote:We don't agree. Please stop puling about my posts.Puling = whining, whimpering?I learned something new today. And it'll rhyme with so many words, too. steve

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Quote:Quote:Justin Timberlake - SexyBackBlack Eyed Peas - My HumpsI absolutely love those songs. These were big teams of gifted creators on both of those songs. I would dearly love to be that awesome a singer/producer/engineer - all of it.. Are they great songs, of course not. But imagine the joy and the happiness those 2 songs have brought to millions of people around the world.steve SexyBack was OK in terms of lyrics and melodies. But the production SUCKED. I honestly thought it was a joke song when I first heard it, and the "real" song would come later. It didn't. Distorted vocals under Justin the whole time? Ridiculous sliding from note to note? Horribly crappy trance synth chords? Stupid 808/909 beat? Timbaland (the producer) is awful. I guess to most people it just sounds fun, but man, as someone who writes dance music... it was downright offensive.My Humps had better production but the melody, lyrics, and vocalist just annoyed the hell out of me. I can't even listen to it all the way through.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:36 pm

Oh well, I totally dig both songs. But what do I know? I'm glad I know what I like.steve

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Yeah, I'm obviously in the minority opinion anyway

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Minority opinions matter plenty. That's how the world changes for the better.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:17 am

Quote:Quote:I absolutely love those songs. These were big teams of gifted creators on both of those songs. I would dearly love to be that awesome a singer/producer/engineer - all of it.. Are they great songs, of course not. But imagine the joy and the happiness those 2 songs have brought to millions of people around the world.steve So was she a Dromedary?SexyBack was OK in terms of lyrics and melodies. But the production SUCKED. I honestly thought it was a joke song when I first heard it, and the "real" song would come later. It didn't. Distorted vocals under Justin the whole time? Ridiculous sliding from note to note? Horribly crappy trance synth chords? Stupid 808/909 beat? Timbaland (the producer) is awful. I guess to most people it just sounds fun, but man, as someone who writes dance music... it was downright offensive.My Humps had better production but the melody, lyrics, and vocalist just annoyed the hell out of me. I can't even listen to it all the way through.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:18 am

Quote:Quote:SexyBack was OK in terms of lyrics and melodies. But the production SUCKED. I honestly thought it was a joke song when I first heard it, and the "real" song would come later. It didn't. Distorted vocals under Justin the whole time? Ridiculous sliding from note to note? Horribly crappy trance synth chords? Stupid 808/909 beat? Timbaland (the producer) is awful. I guess to most people it just sounds fun, but man, as someone who writes dance music... it was downright offensive.My Humps had better production but the melody, lyrics, and vocalist just annoyed the hell out of me. I can't even listen to it all the way through.So was she a Dromedary?
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:25 am

Quote:Quote:I certainly can't make any judgements because I don't have a song on the radio. Huh? Since when did this matter? Record executives all across the country have never had a song on the radio yet they judge songs all the time. Program directors sit in rooms listening to music making judgments on whether the songs are going to show up on their playlist without ever having a song on the radio. You need to come up with something better than that bruh. Quote:I like all types of country, commercial and alt-country. I love Trace Adkins, Carrie Underwood, and Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, but I also love Lucinda and The Old Crowe Medicine Show too. If it's got that 'twang', that is all it needs.I'm not a country fan by any sense of the word. But when you can get me to listen to a song by Tim McGraw (Live Like You Were Dying. Excellent song) and have me like it, THAT is a feat for the books folks. LOL, bruh? I guess you know I'm a 'gurl.' What I'm saying is that we can all be critical of people who have songs on the radio, believing they are trash, but it's takes A LOT of work and maybe even talent to have a hit song on the radio. I hear so many people say, "my songs are better than other people's songs, why aren't mine on the radio?" I'm learning not to be one of those folks, although occasionally, I imagine that I'm a female Dylan.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:39 am

Quote:Quote:I'll say that I'm not a 'music snob.' I just don't like certain songs, but I respect anybody who can get a song on the radioThat is where we differ. I respect quality only. If success comes without quality in the music, there is no respect. A lot of bums make it in music. What am I suuposed to do, respect hacks and bums because they are good bullshitters or have pretty faces?Well, that depends, Horace. Like you, (and I believe we probably have the same taste in music) I like the good stuff. I love Lucinda Williams, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Conway, anything written by Jimmy Webb, Rosanne C., Waylon, Willie and the Boys....however, I have to accept the fact that everyone has different tastes. Some people love the current stuff on CMT, and I'll confess, that it is growing on me....Trace Adkins has some good songs out. Kenny Chesney who I use to blast, some of his stuff is growing on me too....Carrie Underwood, Little Big Town....it's a mixed bag, they have some good stuff and not so good stuff on the radio.My favorite country music is the Neo-Traditional stuff from the early nineties....Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, John Anderson, Sammy Kershaw, Randy Travis and George Strait (even though they started more in the middle 80's).....the generation before them looked down on some of their stuff, and now the early nineties generation looks down on the current Nashville crop as hollow sounding, bland sentimental crap. Maybe so, but one man's piece of bologna is another man's piece of steak....what is hack music anyway?I grow up with fantastic music, Led Zep, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, and I can remember my parents calling it 'hack music' hehe. They loved Benny Goodman and Glen Miller and thought what I listened to was crap. I will say that I miss that gritty soulful music that country used to be so famous for, all those drinking, cheating, fighting, struggling with heartache and prison songs...and I've written a lot of them...my guess is, it will be my lighter fare that gets a nibble in Nashville...that's what they want. Yeah, I'd sellout.