Bad songs which became HITS

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Bad songs which became HITS

Post by horacejesse » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:21 pm

Steve,I believe that word comes out of Shakespeare.Though I don't care for My Humps or Sexy Back, one that I do like is called My Baby and Me. That really is a fine song. Bear in mind that HJ never lies about such things and never kisses a$$. You have my respect. One thing I find exceptional is that there is nothing wrong with the song IMO. At no point did I think, "OK, that part will have to be fixed." I might find it difficult to understand if that song did not do something for you, given it restraint (does not try to say too much), its subject matter and the fine singer you employed.Some of my stuff I respect, some should be thrown to the hogs. I save most of the brutality for myself.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:28 pm

One more thing...if you get your foot in the door with 'lighter fare' does that open up the door for you to get an artist to record some of your more substantial stuff? I've always heard that once you write certain types of songs in Nashville that you will always be writing that type of song, you will be 'typecast'....write lighter fare, and that's what expected of you....write gritter stuff and you might get lucky enough to get in heard in an alt-country market.I'd take either one.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:50 pm

Quote:Oh well, I totally dig both songs. But what do I know? I'm glad I know what I like.steveSteve, I am now (as we speak now) four posts ahead of you....last one to "Ultimate Member" is a rotten egg....we got a ways to go , I know....Jeffe could end up beating us to it as well.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:52 am

Here's one we can't let slip through the net.Anybody remember 'O Superman' by 'Laurie Anderson'I remember the 7 inch single was over 8 minutes long. It went on, and on, and on. What a pile of pants.Unbelievably it spent several weeks at number 2 in the UK charts.People must of bought it because it was 'Different'. It was different alright. Not of this world anyway.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:56 am

Here's one that I'm not sure qualifies, but it proved a great disappointment to me.Anybody remember 'The Stranglers'?They had some good hits. Until......One day.They released a vinyl 7 inch called 'Aural Sculpture'. I bought it straight away. Well they had a good track record. Who was I to think this was going to be any different. How wrong I was.The best way to describe it was lots of weird noises, and chanting. Worse still. I couldn't even console myself with the 'B' side because it was a one sided single.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.