Bad songs which became HITS

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Bad songs which became HITS

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:07 am

Quote:This thread could eventually crash the servers It would be less space demanding to list hits that are actually good songs Some songs comes to mind:[Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen][Money - Pink Floyd][Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin]Come to think of it, it might be my attitude that makes me not laughing on my way to the bank.. OK, so here I go killing this thread (it's been said I'm a party killer) I think I'm the only person in the history of mankind who doesn't like Bohemian Rhapsody....it did make for nice head banging comedy in Wayne's World though. Money, a GREAT song....Stairway to Heaven....while it's the most overplayed song ever....it's still a standard....good stuff.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:17 am

I'll say that I'm not a 'music snob.' I just don't like certain songs, but I respect anybody who can get a song on the radio, whether I think the song is good or bad.......I certainly can't make any judgements because I don't have a song on the radio. Oddly enough, when I was younger, I HATED disco music....now, I find myself loving it because it's nostalgic, so even bubblegummy, bad tunes have a place.A lot of people bash the state of current country music, but really, that is what people are buying. You can lament the loss of the Steve Earle's, the Johnny Cash's and the Merle Haggards, but people seem to be purchasing the more commercial country. That being said, there is a thriving market for alt-country too...(never thought I'd think of J. Cash as 'alt-country').....you just don't hear about it that much...it's more underground, and the fan base purchases these type of songs just because they love those artists....not because they see them on CMT. I like all types of country, commercial and alt-country. I love Trace Adkins, Carrie Underwood, and Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, but I also love Lucinda and The Old Crowe Medicine Show too. If it's got that 'twang', that is all it needs.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:22 am

Dang, there are commas in my post where they don't belong....oh well.

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mixopenta » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:28 am

Oops sorry, my bad. I knew the second I was posting, it was a bad idea...the thread suddenly became sort of omni-directional, which was quite opposite the intentAlthough I kinda liked "Afternoon Delight"... but that might be because of the vocal arrangement, which perhaps is better than the songs deserves

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:39 am

Quote:Dang, there are commas in my post where they don't belong....oh well. I,,,,,,,,,hope,,,,this,,,,,,,makes'''',,,,you.....feel,.:;,better/I do it all the time.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:12 pm

Quote:Quote:Dang, there are commas in my post where they don't belong....oh well. I,,,,,,,,,hope,,,,this,,,,,,,makes'''',,,,you.....feel,.:;,better/I do it all the time.LOL, Jeffe. It,,,,,,,is,,,,,,,,good,,,,,to know,,,,,that,,,,,,I am,,,,,,not,,,,,alone.

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:41 am

Quote:I certainly can't make any judgements because I don't have a song on the radio. Huh? Since when did this matter? Record executives all across the country have never had a song on the radio yet they judge songs all the time. Program directors sit in rooms listening to music making judgments on whether the songs are going to show up on their playlist without ever having a song on the radio. You need to come up with something better than that bruh. Quote:I like all types of country, commercial and alt-country. I love Trace Adkins, Carrie Underwood, and Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, but I also love Lucinda and The Old Crowe Medicine Show too. If it's got that 'twang', that is all it needs.I'm not a country fan by any sense of the word. But when you can get me to listen to a song by Tim McGraw (Live Like You Were Dying. Excellent song) and have me like it, THAT is a feat for the books folks.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:27 am

Quote:Songwriters are to record companies, like Techies are to sales people.A pain in the butt???
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:15 am

Quote:That is where we differ. I respect quality only. If success comes without quality in the music, there is no respect. A lot of bums make it in music. What am I suuposed to do, respect hacks and bums because they are good bullshitters or have pretty faces? HJ, how deep is your respect level for your own music? You're competing for forwards with the very people you may have little respect for. YOU are in the same fishbowl we all are in. Don't piss in your neighbour's pool. For some reason, you want to judge artists (who's music you don't like), as bums unworthy of your respect. Why does not liking someone else's music 'cause you to throw negativity around? You just sound angry, and most of all unapproachable. I wonder how important good bullshitting and pretty faces are really? Perhaps I should remove my avatar picture? Or am I ugly enough for your standards? I am complete agreement with Chits. I have great respect for anyone that gets stuff on the radio. In fact, I have respect for anyone who takes the time to post here, AND/OR create whatever kind of music they want to. Including your stuff HJ. steve

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:21 pm

Quote:We don't agree. Please stop puling about my posts.Puling = whining, whimpering?I learned something new today. And it'll rhyme with so many words, too. steve