bass:acoustic or electric?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: bass:acoustic or electric?

Post by elser » Sun May 02, 2010 10:03 pm

I recently recorded a tune using an acoustic fretless bass guitar like this.
http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/drag ... tless.html
I was surprised at how well it cut through the mix. It's a cool and unique sound.

MatthewMoss
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MatthewMoss » Sun May 02, 2010 10:47 pm

awha, Guitarron, Upright, Acoustic Bass Guitar, Electric Bass guitar.

Electric Bass vs Acoustic bass guitar, in almost any situation especially a demo studio an electric bass will be easier and more affordable to record. In most situations you won't want any kind of room coloration/reverb on a bass track unless for a live sound or solo track. This being said with most acoustic bass guitars you will end up spending a lot of money on a good mic, room treatment and gates to get the thing sounding like a 300 dollar electric bass. If you are familiar with the way piezo pickups on an acoustic guitar sound and like that sound you can go that route with an acoustic bass guitar.

If you can get a good Di with a ground lift, electric bass guitar, and xlr cable. That should do it.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon May 03, 2010 12:56 am

I agree with Bill, a P-bass copy of some kind will probably be your most versatile choice. The P-bass is standard equipment in pop, rock, country and even jazz. If you don't have the good sounding studio space, go with samples for acoustic bass. There are many great sounding, and you have to have a really good space, bass and top notch engineering skillz to beat'em IMO.
Ceo of my own life

Haywire
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Haywire » Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 am

Thank you all for jumping in. I guess I was unclear about the acoustic bass. I did in fact mean the large guitar- like acoustic bass and not an upright. The reason I think I can go with the acoustic is because I record in Logic where there are a number of bass pre-set plug ins that will probably get me close enough to the sound I need for my acoustic /pop demos. Also I feel like I'll be able to sit around and jam without having to plug myself in all the time as with an electric bass.
Finally, it wont break the bank to get one - I'll let you all know how it goes.
Thanks again.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 am

I just have a cheap short scale bass (I don't own a bass amp) that I patch through a guitar compressor pedal then straight into my computer with an amp simulator plug-in.

I get results that I am very happy with. :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

bamtone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bamtone » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi!
I've used accoustic bass with a bow and got an incredible sound, gave the song a great feel. Didn't use a pick-up though, just miked it up. For everything else I go with electric bass unless it's bluegrass tune.

robbylane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by robbylane » Mon May 10, 2010 8:06 pm

As a career bass player, I strongly suggest you get either a solid-body or semi-hollowbody (Gibson ES355-style) bass. Reason being, solid-body basses are typically easier to adjust if you should run into issues with your neck or bridge. If you know how to work on instruments OR you know a good luthier, then this may not be an issue.
I have sound that most solid-body bass guitars can be used suitably for almost any style of music. Of course, it also helps dramatically if you have a bass amp that can offer you various tones.
If you are able to find yourself a music store that has bioth electric and acoustic basses, then try some out and see what sounds and feels best to you. A great-FEELING bass will give you inspiration because it feels good and works WITH you, not against you. Of course, every musician has his or her own touch, hand size and pair of ears by which they judge the instruments that are most pleasing. So rather than buy a bass that is supposedly popular, get the one that works best for YOU!!!!!

Robby Lane