Before posting or reviewing you MUST READ THIS!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Before posting or reviewing you MUST READ THIS

Post by anne » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 am

A huge help for myself and for listening to other people's music. I bet, if time allowed, that we could really support and help eachother a great deal if we posted the listing and either the review sheet, or section of it, that we'd like our peers to comment on. I listen to a lot of work by others and don't know what to say in response because I'm not sure if they want encouragement, feedback on marketability, or a critique of the lyrics, or listen to the production etc etc - Maybe we can start a thread just for peer reviews using "the sheet"?Any thoughts?

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:06 pm

OK, I've been trying and trying for weeks to find out how to post a link to one of my songs on my taxi hosting page. The help menu here is very slow-moving, and so far, no real help. If I'm going to jump in with both feet, I need to know how.Yes, i know there have been threads about this, but my searches so far haven't turned up much in the way of usesful info. And I realize it doesn't help much that I'm incredibly naive and uninformed when it comes to just about anything computer-related. does this mean I'm taking the hiding-in-the-shadows approach? Maybe. I just don't want all the "ultimate members" leaving me messages about "Oh, GOD, can't you figure this out on your OWN?!?!" Uhm, NO. That's why I'm asking. I'd be much obliged, Miss Jimi, if you'd be willing to share the secret formula with me.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Quote:OK, I've been trying and trying for weeks to find out how to post a link to one of my songs on my taxi hosting page. The help menu here is very slow-moving, and so far, no real help. If I'm going to jump in with both feet, I need to know how.Yes, i know there have been threads about this, but my searches so far haven't turned up much in the way of usesful info. And I realize it doesn't help much that I'm incredibly naive and uninformed when it comes to just about anything computer-related. does this mean I'm taking the hiding-in-the-shadows approach? Maybe. I just don't want all the "ultimate members" leaving me messages about "Oh, GOD, can't you figure this out on your OWN?!?!" Uhm, NO. That's why I'm asking. I'd be much obliged, Miss Jimi, if you'd be willing to share the secret formula with me.TedTed, if you want to link to your page it would look something like this:http://www.taxi.com/vikkiflawithreplace my name with your name. To link to a song on your page, *right* click on "play" and either save target as (doesn't work for me) or 'copy shortcut' & paste the link into the forum(works for me).Hope that helps!Hummin'bird (PS - we don't mind answering questions - we all had to figure this out too)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Aw, shucks.Thank You, Vikki.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

trev

Post by trev » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:58 pm

thanks, i copied and pasted the dheet into word pad...i will use it to listen to my own songs...that is helpful.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:51 am

kentraco, welcome aboard. I suggest you start your own thread for this, post it in Peer to Peer. Click on "Peer to Peer" and then click on "new thread" on the top right of the box.cheersHummin'bird

kentraco

Post by kentraco » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks!I've reposted it as a separate thread.

herringbone

Post by herringbone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 am

Ok, I've only been a member for 3 months, and I'm a first time poster here. But I have a few questions for you long timers out there. If I'm submitting a song as a demo for another artist, and the listing submission description requests that, why do I get a critique on my voice? Why do I get a critique on the recording (good enough for this listing) when the description says even home recordings are ok? These are demos. Maybe I do not understand the concept of demos but I always thought that meant you left somethings open for the artist and the producer to add, craft, or arrange. Am I wrong about that? Also, I think the songs can be sold if all the other points are there structure, lyrics, style, etc. The next question is why did my song which was forwarded, basically get forwarded to a company with a website much like TAXI's which accepts songs for a to be reviewed for $5 per pop? It seems it went from Taxi to another Taxi-type organization, then it was refused. What is that all about?My last question is if the listing says that the President of the company will be the one who listens and decides on the song, and then it gets forwarded, is it not right to assume he wanted it? Yet a few weeks later I got a basic return even though it was picked by the president of the company. What is that all about? Also, I'm not mad, I'm just trying to better understand the process. If it doesn't kill you it will only make you stronger!Thanks for any advice you can give!Herringbone

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:09 am

Hi, Herringbone, and welcome. These are all great questions. In fact, I'd love to see the answers to a few of them. You might try posting these questions as a separate thread in either this or the general forum.Jonathan
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 am

Quote:If I'm submitting a song as a demo for another artist, and the listing submission description requests that, why do I get a critique on my voice? Why do I get a critique on the recording (good enough for this listing) when the description says even home recordings are ok? These are demos. Maybe I do not understand the concept of demos but I always thought that meant you left somethings open for the artist and the producer to add, craft, or arrange. Am I wrong about that? Also, I think the songs can be sold if all the other points are there structure, lyrics, style, etc. The quality of the demo is very important. If the singer is off key, or doesn't "sell" the song, then it's important you get this feedback. If the instrumental part is off key, out of time, etc., then it doesn't help 'sell' the song either. Your demo represents the song, if it's not clean & well-dressed, it won't market itself well.Quote:The next question is why did my song which was forwarded, basically get forwarded to a company with a website much like TAXI's which accepts songs for a to be reviewed for $5 per pop? It seems it went from Taxi to another Taxi-type organization, then it was refused. What is that all about?Have you called Taxi customer service to ask about this? This sounds very strange to me.Quote:My last question is if the listing says that the President of the company will be the one who listens and decides on the song, and then it gets forwarded, is it not right to assume he wanted it? Yet a few weeks later I got a basic return even though it was picked by the president of the company. What is that all about? If it got picked by the pres of the company that's excellent news. it means your song is very marketable. He took it, and the other forwards, back to the company and played his selections for the other decision makers, and a choice was made. It was nice of them to let you know they did not choose it this time, but it should give you confidence that you have something that is of interest to a major player in the industry.HTHHummin'bird