Before posting or reviewing you MUST READ THIS!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Before posting or reviewing you MUST READ THIS!

Post by jay10music » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:48 pm

So here’s the deal, the CHALLENGE.We hear it all the time.. "I got a bad review from TAXI, and I don’t agree, my song is a HIT and it ROCKS!".Oh yeah? You willing to stand behind that? No problem. Post your song here for others to review, let's see what they think. Here’s the catch.As the screener, you have to put yourself in the driver's seat, pretend you're us. While you are reviewing the song, be thorough, like our screeners are, and when you make the decision if you would forward it, imagine yourself walking into a major label with the song. You be the A&R Rep. Are you willing to wager your JOB for this artist or song??If YES, then forward it, if NOT, then tell them why.So you see, our screeners' jobs aren’t that easy after all, eh??Below, please find the form to review other members. Just copy and paste it and fill in the blanks.Have fun!!!!

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Before posting or reviewing you MUST READ THIS

Post by jay10music » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:53 pm

TAXI CUSTOM CRITIQUEStyle__ On target for today's market in ________ genre__ Not current sounding__ Hard to classifyStyle Comments:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Melody__ Good music in verses__ Verses could be stronger__ Good music in chorus__ Verses/Chorus sound too similar__ Memorable Hook__ Hook not obvious enoughMelody Comments:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Structure__ Intro too long__ Well-written structure__ Good sectional contrast__ Not enough sectional contrast__ Could use a bridgeStructure Comments:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Lyric__ First line makes me want to hear more__ Engaging__ Cohesive__ Good use of imagery__ Rhymes well__ Communicates emotion to listener__ Lacks focus__ Unique__ Too abstract__ I don't understand it__ Too predictable__ Too many cliches__ Awkward phrasing__ Vocal does not help to sell song__ Vocal does help to sell songLyrcial Comments:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Title__ Good title__ So-So title__ Can't determine title by listening__ Could appear in a more strategic place__ Doesn't repeat enough__ Repeats too oftenTitle Comments:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________OVERALL COMMENTS___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Now give a rating 1 to 10, 1 being the worst, 10 being the best:__ Music__ Lyrics__ Marketability__ Arrangement__ Production__ EngineeringNOW. Would you walk this into a label credibility on this music? color]__ YES__ NONOW. Give a reason why did or didn't forward this:___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________There ya go.. that's what it's like being a TAXI screener.

billyray

Post by billyray » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:59 am

Hullo Goddess JimiAs usual,you are right on!!!LOL I am sooooooo happy to see you involved and invigorated !!!! If I ever get picked for "Extreme Makeover" I shall hunt you down and we shall have an "eyeball to eyeball" discussion of what the world is really all about!!!LOL All my best to you,Lass!! Billy Ray
Keep a place in your life for magic

countrysinger

Post by countrysinger » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:07 am

How do i get to hear people to do this? thats the question i wanna know!

voiceofgold49

Post by voiceofgold49 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:15 am

Hey countrysinger, to find music to listen to and review.Go to near the bottom of the main page....Look for ..Promote It. Under that heading you will see Shameless Self Promotion.... people post under there, with links to site where you can hear their music.Bill
You're never to old to follow your dream but, sometimes each of us needs help with with the directions to get there. Yes, even the men !

renno

Post by renno » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:58 am

Hey im Renno, New to this site, Nice site ya going here P.S I s there any places for Mods going on this site left?
MaKaI-ReNn0

uglybeatle

Re: Before posting or reviewing ...I'm a Bad Boy!

Post by uglybeatle » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:08 am

Whoops! I didn't start here and I should have...My Bad! Definitely, worth doing right. If you want people to tell you how good your material is, even when it isn't... try family and friends

joeholtaway

Post by joeholtaway » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:42 am

Wanted Song writing partner. London My name is Joe. Im 21 years old living in London. I’ve been in bands as a frontman and songwriter for a number of years with review success, producer interest and so on. I’ve now come to a place where I would like to form a band to make music that I can really believe in around a band who I can share the experience with. My influences are alt country mainly americana, think Josh Rouse, Counting Crows, Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters/ Sun Kil Moon), The National, Jesse Malin, Josh Ritter, Ryan Adams, etc. I want to create something special and work toward playing shows that have a special feel. Delicate and beautiful songs etc, I guess you get the idea. I’m looking for a songwriting partner similar age and influences to form the basis of this. I think can really work, so send me an e-mail we can exchange demos and go from there. Bye for now.Email: joe73@hotmail.co.uk

eddygan

Post by eddygan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:09 am

Thank you for posting the Critique Sheet. As a new member I really do appreciate knowing so soon what the rules of engagement are..........and your post wakes me to the realization that we must also take the time to seriously critique our own works before passing them on to others.EdQuote:So here’s the deal, the CHALLENGE.We hear it all the time.. "I got a bad review from TAXI, and I don’t agree, my song is a HIT and it ROCKS!".Oh yeah? You willing to stand behind that? No problem. Post your song here for others to review, let's see what they think. Here’s the catch.As the screener, you have to put yourself in the driver's seat, pretend you're us. While you are reviewing the song, be thorough, like our screeners are, and when you make the decision if you would forward it, imagine yourself walking into a major label with the song. You be the A&R Rep. Are you willing to wager your JOB for this artist or song??If YES, then forward it, if NOT, then tell them why.So you see, our screeners' jobs aren’t that easy after all, eh??Below, please find the form to review other members. Just copy and paste it and fill in the blanks.Have fun!!!!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:12 am

Quote:Thank you for posting the Critique Sheet. As a new member I really do appreciate knowing so soon what the rules of engagement are..........and your post wakes me to the realization that we must also take the time to seriously critique our own works before passing them on to others.Very true. As an example, a long intro that may be effective in certain situations (particularly when played live) is specifically a "no-no" on the critique sheet ("Intro too long") which is what the screeners are using. They're trained to look for songs that "get right to it" because generally that's what the listing client wants. Knowing things like this in advance helps me gear my material accordingly. Of course I could just complain that things like this stifle my creativity and then complain again when my "creative" song gets returned. Dave