Best booth to drown the sound

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

charlie2
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Best booth to drown the sound

Post by charlie2 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Hi

I live in an apartment and I need to sing, record and play many different instruments. My upstairs neighbor is sensitive to noise.

Can anyone recommend a portable vocal/instrumental booth that I can use?

I heard of vocalboothstogo.com. they seem to block out around 30db off the sound but I'll like to hear reviews of them and any other possible choices.
Last edited by charlie2 on Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Success is failure analyzed

Sometimes the truth feels good. Sometimes bad. But it's always good for us.

The world's greatest music was written without the technology we have today.

Http://www.charlescaputo.com

Http://www.taxi.com/charlescaputo

charlie2
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Best booth to drown the sound

Post by charlie2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:09 am

Anybody? Talk to me....come on

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Never had cause to use one but have seem these guys advertising in Sound on Sound I think

https://www.vocalbooth.com/

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:23 pm

That vocal booth looks pretty cool. I'd love to have one of those. I wonder how much it would reduce sound that would travel to other apartment units.

I've seen the ones that are also over a grand, and basically the sit at head level on a stand and you poke your head up inside and sing. They are supposed to reduce sound getting outside by a lot-- but they're expensive for that they are and look a bit uncomfortable to me.

That kinda sucks having a neighbor who is "sensitive to sound"... that could mean several different things... I might seek an acoustic solution, but also maybe (assuming the neighbor is reasonable) I'd consider talking to him/her and seeing if an arrangement could be made-- sometimes just reaching out to someone can yield good results.

One of my coworkers had an annoying neighbor upstairs who would always be dropping stuff and making a huge commotion-- and he finally told her he'd give her a $20 gift card for each month that she didn't make a massive ruckus upstairs. It seemed a bit of a wet-noodle move to me, but whatever-- it got him the results he wanted. haha,

My previous apartment that I moved out of last year-- it had paper thin walls. I got a few noise complaints for playing/working on music even at low levels. It was annoying. Those same "sensitive" neighbors who didn't like having to hear my music didn't consider that maybe I didn't want their skunk-ass marijuana smell permeating my apartment all day either. Oh well.

The solution for me was to move to a building specifically for artists. Everyone in my current building is an artist of some sort-- many are musicians. I had to submit a portfolio to be approved. So there is much more tolerance for things like sound here. As part of the amenities I have free 24/7 access to three studio grade vocal rooms and a band rehearsal room. It's pretty sweet. Except the weed smell is even worse here (despite the building being supposedly smoking-free). Can't win em all.

If you're not super attached to your current apartment, maybe look around to see if there are any "artist lofts" in your area. Often they're cheaper to rent too.

I used to really be self-conscious about singing and having people/neighbors hear me sing. Eventually I just got over it.

Good luck.

charlie2
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by charlie2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll check out that vocal booth and also studio bricks which I found.