Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Best Mic for Untreated Room

Post by MBantle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:27 am

GBall wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:11 am
There is a guy in Canada who used to design mics for Ocean Way, and opened his own mic business - Advanced Audio Microphones at. https://advancedaudio.ca. 45 years experience, family business, some of the nicest people I've ever spoken to.

He sells a CM47FET, which is basically in terms of brightness between the original Neuman U47FET and the U87. Specifically its a U87 mic design and circuitry married to a U47 FET capsule. Its just under $300 and I took a chance because I agreed with him that the U87 can sound over-bright on a lot of sources. (He sells a U87 too) I'm only guessing, but that brightness or brittleness is what most people seem to mean when they say something like you did about fighting condensers. Anyway, I would describe it as a U87 with a little more polish, and I've grown quite fond of it the last couple of years for female vocals.

I think it might be closer to the sound you're thinking of an SM7 but not as dead sounding - which is how I often feel about vocals done on dynamic mics. The CM47FET is multi-pattern, so you CAN use it cardioid and close like you're suggesting, but that's not what I personally do. Put that sucker on Omni, run a long cord out to your living room or wherever and try it. Bet you will find like I did that there's a place with not too much room color, where the sound can breathe, has dimension and more life. I have, I dunno, 15 or so mics? Nothing real expensive - I'm just saying that I don't love it because its the only one I have. I'm saying that we try a few, give the vocalist her choice and this one wins a lot.

Keep or Sweep as you wish. :)
Greg
Thanks Greg! Will definitely check out Advanced Audio Microphones!
Cheers,
Matt

davidira
Active
Active

Post by davidira » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:49 am

I have an untreated room and I use a condenser. To me it sounds 10x better than my SM57. I'm sorry I can't remember the brand of my condenser mic right now - but I know it was very moderately priced from Musicians Friend (less than $200). My guess is that if I treated the room and upgraded the mic it would sound even better. That being said - couldn't imagine recording my vocals with an SM57 after using a condenser (even in an untreated room). It's also good for capturing acoustic guitar and/or the sounds of my daughter typing on her computer 10ft away :)

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:11 pm

GBall wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:11 am
There is a guy in Canada who used to design mics for Ocean Way, and opened his own mic business - Advanced Audio Microphones at. https://advancedaudio.ca. 45 years experience, family business, some of the nicest people I've ever spoken to.

He sells a CM47FET, which is basically in terms of brightness between the original Neuman U47FET and the U87. Specifically its a U87 mic design and circuitry married to a U47 FET capsule. Its just under $300 and I took a chance because I agreed with him that the U87 can sound over-bright on a lot of sources. (He sells a U87 too) I'm only guessing, but that brightness or brittleness is what most people seem to mean when they say something like you did about fighting condensers. Anyway, I would describe it as a U87 with a little more polish, and I've grown quite fond of it the last couple of years for female vocals.

I think it might be closer to the sound you're thinking of an SM7 but not as dead sounding - which is how I often feel about vocals done on dynamic mics. The CM47FET is multi-pattern, so you CAN use it cardioid and close like you're suggesting, but that's not what I personally do. Put that sucker on Omni, run a long cord out to your living room or wherever and try it. Bet you will find like I did that there's a place with not too much room color, where the sound can breathe, has dimension and more life. I have, I dunno, 15 or so mics? Nothing real expensive - I'm just saying that I don't love it because its the only one I have. I'm saying that we try a few, give the vocalist her choice and this one wins a lot.

Keep or Sweep as you wish. :)
Greg
Good to know! They are actually in my town of Summerland, BC. Have been considering getting my existing cheaper mics mod'ed to get a better sound, but its not been much of a priority :)

wendylanders
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by wendylanders » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:09 pm

I'd like to thank everyone for the info as well.

Best,

Wendy Landers