Best PRO

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Best PRO

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Dec 12, 2008, 7:37pm, andreh wrote:However, when I land licensing deals myself and maintain publishing rights (which has been the case in the majority of the deals I've been lucky enough to secure), I want to be able to collect.I haven't studied alot about publishing, but I do remember hearing Steve Vai say: "Never give up your publishing." Of course we're not at the same level that he is, but his and your situation would be simliar then, right, but on a different scale? I guess what I'm asking is, at that point you/he have full control of your songs from every aspect?Quote:Also, according to Jason Blume, if you're pitching songs to artists/labels it's a good idea to come across as a publishing company (even if a small one)...seems you'll be more likely taken seriously and have a shot at getting your songs heard.Yes, I believe I've heard something along those lines as well.I-468PS -- My understanding is if you're the songwriter you would get 100% of the share, and if you're the publisher, you'd get 100% as well, rather than a split? Is that right? or something to that affect?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Quote:...but you do need to register as a publisher with your PRO to collect any publishing $ owed to you.No I don't. The track(s) are registered with my PRO (SOCAN) (for example) as 150% for me and 50% for the publisher. And I believe (Matto can confirm) that you don't need to set up a publishing co to get your publishing from BMI. I think only ASCAP has that requirement... but you'd have to check with them. Quote: However, when I land licensing deals myself and maintain publishing rights (which has been the case in the majority of the deals I've been lucky enough to secure), I want to be able to collect.-register the works effectively (as noted above)Quote:Also, according to Jason Blume, if you're pitching songs to artists/labels it's a good idea to come across as a publishing company (even if a small one)...seems you'll be more likely taken seriously and have a shot at getting your songs heard.Can't comment on that since I don't, for the most part, pitch songs to artists.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:17 am

With ASCAP you need to be registered as a publisher with ASCAP to collect the publishing share. It is just the way their system is set up. It is easy to do, so I recommend registering as both a writer and as a publisher if you join ASCAP. I did.Dean

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:59 am

You don't need to register as a publisher with BMI. If there is no publisher listed you (the writer) will receive monies for both publisher and writer.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 am

[/quote]I haven't studied alot about publishing, but I do remember hearing Steve Vai say: "Never give up your publishing." Of course we're not at the same level that he is, but his and your situation would be simliar then, right, but on a different scale? I guess what I'm asking is, at that point you/he have full control of your songs from every aspect?[/quote]I've heard this many times through out the years. Mostly from Artists that have gotten screwed badly. However, what they're really trying to say is not to give up your "writer's share" of the publishing.Sure, if you're a name brand Artists that can ask for the moon and get it, definitely try to keep all of your publishing. But the fact is that for most songwriters need publishers to get their music placed and publishers are not going to do it for nothing.

jeffgreenleaf
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jeffgreenleaf » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Dec 15, 2008, 2:17am, deantaylor wrote:With ASCAP you need to be registered as a publisher with ASCAP to collect the publishing share. It is just the way their system is set up. It is easy to do, so I recommend registering as both a writer and as a publisher if you join ASCAP. I did.DeanYes this is true...I recently went back to ASCAP's website to register as a publisher in addition to my writer account. It wasn't clear you had to do this until registering titles.

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:58 am

I'm probably going to join BMI simply because I've attended some of their songwriter's workshops in Nashville taught by Jason Blume. They don't charge for these, and the fact that they are trying to help up-and-coming songwriters (hopefully I fall into that category) makes me want to support them. Perhaps ASCAP has similar classes, I don't know. These classes, held at BMI's headquarters, right on Music Row, sure make you feel part of the "scene" and encourage you to write your ass off. During the last class I attended, we had the opportunity to pitch our songs to a publisher. As we were leaving Montgomery Gentry were doing a photo shoot in one of the foyers outside our conference room. Pretty nice for a nobody from Cornville, Arizona to get that kind of unconditional access, and I'd like to thank them for it.Cam

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Cam you just made up my mind for me!See you at one of those workshops!!!M~

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:01 pm

The BMI Blume workshops are open to anyone, BMI member or not. I'm not sure if the ASCAP country writers workshops are open to non-ASCAP members but in any event, that wouldn't be my recommendation for joining one PRO vs. the other. Truth be told, although my ASCAP rep nearly burst a blood vessel when I said it, ASCAP and BMI are both pretty much the same. They're both completely the same if you're not generating royalties. After I said it, I believe the ASCAP rep said, in between spraying spittle around the room, that ASCAP is the only publicly owned of the three PROs and is therefore more fiscally responsible to its members. BMI and SESAC being private, they don't have to disclose finances. Yeah, whatever. That ASCAP rep was also the one who sat there and listened to a few of my songs and said "that's good stuff - what do you want ME to do for you?". Uh...help me maybe? Nah, he couldn't do that. He pretty much said that if he helped me (make a phone call, play a song for a publisher, etc.) he'd have to help everyone and that when he used to do that, he used to get reamed out by the people on the other end who had to listen to the writers he'd recommended so he stopped helping writers. In other words, go away kid ya bother me. Granted it only took me three months and several phone calls to even get THAT meeting. After he told me why he couldn't help me, he did say that he'd hold onto my CD and listen to it for a few days and see if maybe he could do something, and that he'd get back to me. That was in June. Last time I saw his photo on RowFax he was at some golf outing or other.As as aside, I moved to ASCAP because BMI was so user unfriendly and the folks at ASCAP made me feel welcome and important. Don't assume the love fest will last.I'll be moving to SESAC next month. If that doesn't work out, SOCAN is my next choice!Claire

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Oh and the BMI Blume workshops - you have to be there in person and sign up when BMI opens their doors in the morning. The workshops are full by 9:30 a.m.