From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Best time to book flights and a room?

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Hey all!

Pretty stoked that it looks like I’ll be able to make it to rally this year! Was wondering if anyone had some insight on the best time to book flights and rooms... as well as any other tips regarding travel related stuff.

Thanks!!
Andrew

nathan

Re: Best time to book flights and a room?

Post by nathan » Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm

I recommend waiting until Taxi offers the group room rate to Taxi members. You'll definitely want to stay at the Westin Hotel where the convention is happening.

Last year for me, it came to $475.83 for three nights including tax. Per night, that worked out to:

$137 room charge
$19.18 occupancy fee
$0.37 tourism assessment, California
$2.06 tourism assessment, LA
--------------
$158.61 per night

As for flights, I recommend using a service like Kayak or Google Flights to find when is the cheapest to buy. A lot depends on where you're flying from.

The other factor is food and drink. It is not inexpensive at the Westin. I spent $20+ on a simple eggs, sausage toast breakfast. I bought a Diet Coke at the store for like $4. It's similar to airport pricing.

But you can Uber to a store to buy some food/drink for your room. There's a Denny's across the street. I think a Taco Bell is nearby. I Ubered to a Persian restaurant one night, because LA has great Persian food. Another time, I checked out the In-N-Out burger nearby where planes arriving at the airport fly directly overhead as they come in for a landing. It's kind of unnerving but also quite cool.

One thing you won't have to pay for: Rockstar energy drinks