Best way to show your material for a new company?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Best way to show your material for a new company?

Post by arska » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 am

Hello there.

When you make initial contact to new licensing company / library and you'd want to show all your materials as easy as possible to the company, how you would do it? Assumption here is that you don't yet have signed the deal. And second assumption is that we're talking about 30+ tracks so not just few.

I'm thinking whether it's best to create some drop box site where to post links to folders with files (files would not be possible to download). Or sound cloud site or then even sending a zip file. But risk with zip file is that then you are already sending your materials even before any deal..

How you think this?

Yeah, this is quite basic stuff for many but for me apparrently not :)

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Best way to show your material for a new company?

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 am

At the inception of the contact you are a salesperson pitching your product...
If they like the product don't try to sell them your entire store...
Ask them what they NEED!
Ask them if they want to hear more.

Generally I have found that most of the libraries I work with prefer to have you send one MP3 per email.
Generally...
Nobody I know of will want 20+ tunes in their inbox.
There just isn't enough time to review that much material...
Let them tell you what they need, be gracious and try to meet the demands.
If you feel that you have to have all of your material instantly accessible then I would think you create a Composer's Website with your body of work there.
Then you can rest easy...
Thoughts...
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:49 am

Different publishers will have different protocols as to how they want to audition material, I would just ask what their preferred method is. If they want to explore your catalog further i think having your own website is the most professional look. But in my experience no publisher or music supe is going to cull through dozens of tracks at once.

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks for comments! Maybe I did lost it for a moment :roll: Always case by case and not sending everything for sure. It just that if they want tension tracks and pop genres to pick I easily have that 30+ tracks. But maybe own web site would be the way to go. It should not be that hard these days to build one...

I have deal with one library and I ended up sending 25 tracks for them. First they were happy to check tracks before from my sound cloud page but quite soon they just asked me to send them over.

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:57 pm

Most libraries I have come across definitely don't want you to send mp3s. They only want to see streaming links.
So you can include a link to your Soundcloud page, or create your own website.
DISCO is another excellent option.
You can create custom playlists for each library you are submitting to, and then you can see when the library has actually listened to your tracks.

You really need to make sure you find out how a particular library wants submissions because if you just spam them with mp3s, they will most likely ignore you.

Some libraries don't want you to submit any specific music, they just want to see your website and see a range of your work to decide if you will fit.
Some libraries want streaming links to 3 of your best tracks.
Some libraries want 5-10 tracks from one genre which could go on one album.

Having a professional looking website is a good way to go and it's pretty easy and cheap to make one yourself these days

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 31, 2020 2:56 am

They will most likely tell you what they are looking for and the best way to submit as they all have different preferences. What I would say is don't spam anyone, they don't have time.

These are the main scenarios I have come across:-

1. Portal for composers contains all briefs & submissions , everything screened through it. Alt mixes made afterwards if accepted.

2. Library reaches out to request urgent track needed that day - Email with one MP3 attached requested on yes/no basis ( no = no reply )

3. Briefs sent asking for a 5 track Soundcloud or similar playlist. Use WeTransfer or similar for finished tracks and alt mixes

4. No Briefs. Email Library owner to check what they need and send finished tracks + alt mixes via Dropbox or similar

Mark