Better examples of melody in instrumentals?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Better examples of melody in instrumentals?

Post by BradGray » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 pm

Hey Passengers,

Another return tonight, but I've become quite used to it. While I'm not going to bother to get into the specifics, as I respectfully disagree with one of the boxes checked, and a comment around the mood was off (which would have meant one or more references were off mood too), I do seem to get the checkbox of "melody could be stronger" much more than I'd like. It is something I'm paying attention to each time, but still seem to be missing the mark.

For an instrumental, I "believe" that the melody is supposed to be there, but not too out front. It needs to be interesting, but not something that takes your attention away from whatever is happening in the scene. I once again thought I did that, but it was returned.

If you have any good examples of instrumental melodies that I could reference, it would be appreciated... or books, or other suggested resources I can look at.

Cheers,
Brad

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Better examples of melody in instrumentals?

Post by Kolstad » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 pm

It doesnt really matter if you agree or dont agree, if they dont want it, you cant make them.

Tv/film don’t take straight up instrumentals very often, they use a lot of cues and songs/ backing tracks. A backing track for a song is basically the track without vocals, meaning without lead melody. Then they mix between the song and the backing, when used in a production. And a cue is driven by the arrangement, not a melody. Think building sections with riffs and figures, rising in intensity, but no actual melody.

Sometimes they say write a main melody, then do a counterpoint, and delete the main melody = cue.

Go listen to some tracks in big music libraries online. Its pretty clear what they want, when you do that. Compare with the best out there. Also listen to music in contemporary tv/film, you will hear what is being used. Immerse yourself in the stuff.

Read Robin Frederick”s two books on songwriting. She breaks down contemporary songs and instrumentals and shows you how to craft them. Invaluable information.

This is hard, bur when you know how, you can do it with a ton of practice.
Ceo of my own life

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:18 am

Kolstad wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 pm
It doesnt really matter if you agree or dont agree, if they dont want it, you cant make them.

Tv/film don’t take straight up instrumentals very often, they use a lot of cues and songs/ backing tracks. A backing track for a song is basically the track without vocals, meaning without lead melody. Then they mix between the song and the backing, when used in a production. And a cue is driven by the arrangement, not a melody. Think building sections with riffs and figures, rising in intensity, but no actual melody.

Sometimes they say write a main melody, then do a counterpoint, and delete the main melody = cue.

Go listen to some tracks in big music libraries online. Its pretty clear what they want, when you do that. Compare with the best out there. Also listen to music in contemporary tv/film, you will hear what is being used. Immerse yourself in the stuff.

Read Robin Frederick”s two books on songwriting. She breaks down contemporary songs and instrumentals and shows you how to craft them. Invaluable information.

This is hard, bur when you know how, you can do it with a ton of practice.
Thanks Kolstad, I should have clarified it was an instrumental cue. I absolutely recognize that the melody could have been better in my track. In listening to it again, post review, it started off well and drifted away in the other sections when they had built more energy; so I can see the mistake. I can certainly do more library listening homework as well, and check Robins' references, or pick up a copy of what I'm missing. My frustration was not so much in that it was rejected, I get it there were things wrong, but more so of a single comment and checkbox with regards to the mood. That was the part I disagreed with.

But overall it is just practice and practice.

Cheers,
Brad

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:41 pm

a variation on what Magne wrote above:

"instrumental melody" = hook.

but that's not the same as a "melody that sounds like a vocal an instrument playing it" which = smooth jazz.

"instrumental" or "instrumental cue" also doesn't = a vocal song with the melody removed 99% of the time.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks Andy,

That's a great way to explain the differences between the two. I'll have to have my own hook listening party, to better hear what others are doing. I believe I'm putting in a number of hooks, but I have to listen an learn, as obviously not doing something right.

At least I'm feeling good about the arrangements though. That's never an issue...

Cheers,
Brad