Better saved than sorry

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Better saved than sorry

Post by andreh » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:06 pm

Quote:One of the biggest advantages to these boxes are that they can have a RAID between 4 drives. TheresaA small addition to Theresa's extremely informative post - Wikipedia entry for the acronym RAID (originally "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks", now also known as "Redundant Array of Independent Disks"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_ ... disksAndre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:09 pm

Quote:Beige, silver and black seem to shout mediocrityBoy I must be a really mediocre composer then, I've never owned anything other than beige, black or silver... Then again I don't look at the computer for 12 hours a day when composing....I look at what's ON the screen!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:54 pm

Teresa, I said dumb it down... whew, that was over my head. But I did get some of it. I also have large files. Thanks for the education, I'll study it.Matt, you're definitely a man. ... We ladies like to keep things pretty. Thanks for the discussion everyone.Nomi

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:15 am

Quote:http://www.fendermail.com/pics/flowers.htmlOkay if they made computer cases that look like THAT I would be buying...

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:48 am

Quote:Quote:Beige, silver and black seem to shout mediocrityBoy I must be a really mediocre composer then, I've never owned anything other than beige, black or silver... Then again I don't look at the computer for 12 hours a day when composing....I look at what's ON the screen! Thanks Matto! I knew I was doing something wrong

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:07 pm

Quote:Quote:Matt, you're definitely a man. ... We ladies like to keep things pretty. If Matt would have been a women I would have been very surprised! - Naomi since you like it pretty these are for you only! http://www.fendermail.com/pics/flowers.htmlAwwww.... you know how to get those heart strings strumming.... thanks for the flowers.http://www.nomiyah.com/dashboard/galler ... 27.jpgNomi

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:35 am

Quote:One more thought...I wouldn't buy the biggest disk you can!If possible buy two 250 GB HD's instead of one e.g. 500 GB HD...HD's are great but there's always a possibility of a crash!If one of your 250 HD's crashes you still got a second HD... If you use 500 GB in two devices you're more on the safe side of back up life! This is true but if you strictly use the external drive for BACK-UP (meaning the same data still resides on your internal drive as well) both your internal and external drives would have to crash at the same time which is HIGHLY unlikely. Then once the project is finished you can additionally archive it on CD or DVD.Btw, since your computer was just recently built with modern components, you almost certainly have USB 2.0, so you can go with that.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:57 pm

Quote:Quote:One more thought...I wouldn't buy the biggest disk you can!If possible buy two 250 GB HD's instead of one e.g. 500 GB HD...HD's are great but there's always a possibility of a crash!If one of your 250 HD's crashes you still got a second HD... If you use 500 GB in two devices you're more on the safe side of back up life! This is true but if you strictly use the external drive for BACK-UP (meaning the same data still resides on your internal drive as well) both your internal and external drives would have to crash at the same time which is HIGHLY unlikely. Then once the project is finished you can additionally archive it on CD or DVD.Btw, since your computer was just recently built with modern components, you almost certainly have USB 2.0, so you can go with that. So you think USB is better than Firewire? The main complaint I've heard about USB is that it takes much longer to burn big files. In your experience, is that true or myth?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:27 pm

Blue Ray is a good suggestion. Thanks for the input.