Better to focus writing many ideas, or completely finishing a few tracks?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Better to focus writing many ideas, or completely finishing a few tracks?

Post by superblonde » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:22 pm

For a given chunk of calendar time spent on music projects, say 6 weeks in the schedule of otherwise busy life, is it better to :

a) Spend most of the time writing/drafting many musical ideas (riffs, melodies, harmonies, lyrics, whatever) for use in future tracks, or

b) Spend most of the time focused on completely polishing several tracks from idea to finished master, or

c) Split the time somewhat equally between (a) and (b) then end up with a couple (fewer) polished tracks and a handful of (fewer) musical ideas.

?
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Better to focus writing many ideas, or completely finishing a few tracks?

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 pm

I think it depends on where you are in your sync licensing journey.

If you're submitting through Taxi only, then I'd say that having some ideas you can call on when appropriate listings come along is probably of most use. That also allows you to steer those ideas along slightly different lanes to focus on the listing requirements (style, mood, and even length). Furthermore, if you get contacted after a forward with a request for some more tracks in a similar style, having some starts ready to work on will be a great help.

If you already work with libraries however, your finished tracks are your currency. If you can pitch an album's worth of tracks in a certain style I'd say you're in a good position (with some libraries, but not all) to get the whole lot signed if they're good enough. Its also good training to work all your best ideas through to fully finished tracks anyway (even though you might still need to edit them at some later date for various reasons). You just have to decide which ideas are worth working on.

Sorry its not a definitive answer, but we have different creative flow, practical workflow, available time, and library relationships. Therefore, you'll probably get the opposite response from others :). As usual, these are just my opinions and YMMV.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:34 pm

For me it would be Option B

I think it's better to really study the reference tracks, pull them apart and use what you've learned to make something similar that's finished and done by the deadline.

That way you don't waste a ton of time on half baked ideas that never go anywhere, on the rare occasion I can't get something over the line I'd rather delete it.
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:46 pm

Lean toward option B as well. Continually getting better at your best version of finished as you "finish"will, likely, bear more fruit.

Another way of looking at it, which is more rare? Folks that start or folks that finish? Scarcity usually has more value.

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm

A for me. I like making songs and keep thinking of new material daily. It is the process for me that is intriguing.. I have been trying to learn mixing techniques for many years, but I am afraid I am just too old to catch up . I am working on a crazy song now that is a lot of fun. peace, love and reverb
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:29 pm

"The first step you never take, will be the longest journey you'll ever have."

Finish those tracks.
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:08 pm

My take is not to overthink it. Figure out what works for you on the workflow and getting to finished work fronts and let that govern where you go at any given time. The mix might vary in different periods. Of course, at some point, you need to finish stuff because unfinished stuff isn't useful, unless maybe you're collaborating with others who are finishers but not good at getting things started, but that's just a different way of getting to finished work.

My personal take varies over time. There have been times, for example, where I've written a bunch of songs, maybe made work demos, but that was it. Then maybe I'd play those songs live, sometimes for years (or even a decade or more) before finally getting to the point of recording it. (In fact, my next single will be one of those. It's something I wrote back in the late 00's. I finally got around to starting on a polished recording of it in late March, but then ended up letting it sit on the shelf for almost 3 months, behind some other specific opportunities that had deadlines, before getting back to it. This time I kept at it until finishing, then moved to working on the cover art to get that last piece needed to get it out there.)

There have been other points where I've been writing or recording for specific TAXI listings, and I've done a whole bunch of starters, but knew there was no chance I'd have to finish all of them by the deadline and maybe only submitted one or a few. In one case, I finished the rest of them after the deadline, partly because I had a flow going for finishing the pieces, and partly in case of a forward and contact that asked for more. (I did get one forward out of that, but haven't heard anything from the library after several months.) At some point, I may add a few more pieces of the same sort and put them out as an album, but they're currently just sitting on the shelf. In another case, I was only able to finish one piece (which did get forwarded), but all the other starts are sitting on the shelf. I may or may not ever get back around to them.

I should probably note that, while I've done some amount of the instrumentals for sync stuff, my main focus has been songs with vocals, especially original songs, but I've also enjoyed doing some covers (mostly aimed at specific TAXI listings). That may inherently result in a different workflow than producing lots of instrumental cues.

Rick

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Pick one or a few Taxi listings and write specifically to those listings.

That's not only how it works best with Taxi, but also how it works best with the industry if you're working directly with libraries or music supes. Write to as closely as you can to spec and that's your best chance for a placement.

Good luck!

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper