Big Budget Production

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

phoenix

Big Budget Production

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:11 am

Hey guys! It`s probably a stupid question but I`m running a laptop with Cubase, FL Pro and a rake of plug-ins etc., I`m using a Mackie Onynx desk and a Rode large diaghram condenser! My instruments and amps are top notch and I`m monitoring through a nice pair of Genelecs!!I`m just wondering what guys buy when they spend 2 or 3 million on a studio? I understand that I could have better pre-amps and a Neumann condenser, maybe even a couple!! I could have hardware compressors and effects and bigger desks and monitors but it still wouldn`t touch a million!What do they spend the money on?

staggerlee

Re: Big Budget Production

Post by staggerlee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:52 am

Well Just a mixing console can top a million. But they spend money on pretty much everything thats gonna show even 1% improvement in sound. Also they gotta be able to satisfy every need. So if someone likes to work with that particular effect, or tube amp or whatever, they gotta make sure they have it. That doesn't mean that you can't make top notch records with the gear you have.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 am

Quote:What do they spend the money on?Well, there are SO many things! (I assume you're not talking about the physical studio itself).First, I'd say microphones. Most serious studios have up to 100 mics, each for their own purpose and sound characteristics. Buying a closet-full of vintage German tube mics etc. can get you close to $500k in no time. Check out vintage Neumann mics on eBay --- I'll bet $5,000 each wouldn't be surprising.Check this out:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SolutionDS/Then there's outboard gear, instruments and amps --- I'll let someone else pick up from here (Nick, are you there!?). Ern

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:38 pm

I think most of the budget goes on the producer's chair...

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm

I get the drift guys! I`ve been making master tracks for a while but I was just curious why they needed millions when I didn`t!! But you have put an end to my curiosity!!Thanks guys!!

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:09 pm

I'm here now, Ern, but I don't know what to add. The main thing is the rooom, but there are also expenses that come with being a business.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Quote:there are also expenses that come with being a business.Such as catering to every whim of your average high maintenance pop star clientele...doesn't come cheap!