Bitter Words about TAXI, So I've Heard...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Bitter Words about TAXI, So I've Heard...

Post by weslong » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Sept 11, 2008, 5:00pm, ggalen wrote:Sept 11, 2008, 4:10pm, weslong wrote:... you can't be kooky like Philip Glass or Pat Metheny and expect to get too far in the commercial realm.Yeah, that kooky Pat Metheny. He ain't no Gnarls Barkley or Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'll give you that. LOL! Okay, I know. I couldn't think of anyone else to use for the description....maybe Liberace would've been a been a better a example- a moot one at that- since he's dead...

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:08 pm

Yeah, where Metheny's posse at? How many of 'em got a Rolex?<snicker>
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Quote:Yeah, that kooky Pat Metheny.

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Sept 11, 2008, 8:27pm, anne wrote:Quote:Yeah, that kooky Pat Metheny. On the other hand, I always thought Lyle Mays was fantastic. I love his piano piece, 'Highland Aire'. He's slowed down considerably in the last decade or so. Gettin' old, you know?

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:29 pm

well, most of the people I met who thought that taxi is a "scam" felt under one (or more) of the following categories:* they never have been a member, they just were suspicious and did not make their own opinion.* they were members but hadn't success and were disapointed about that. most of the time they either had sent only a few submissions and/or their music was just not ready...* they felt more comfortable with blaming taxi for their lack of success instead of move their own a**es and work on their music.so far my experience. several times it happended that I told them my story and some of them even changed their mind.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 am

Gitarrero, you are one of the reasons I'm still here. You have succeeded and I think if everyone work hard, follow the screeners advices and keep sending music, they will succeed sometime! Of course a little talent is required as well. I think I'm up to 16 forwards now, but I still keep sending new material to new listings, I will do so even if I get a deal. You have to work hard.

christig
Impressive
Impressive

Post by christig » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 am

The music business is a tough business and it seems everyone wants to do it. With technology being so affordable, it is easy for most to get into recording. A wise musician once told me the instrument never makes the player. In other words, there has to be something of substance like talent and hard work.I've been a musician all of my life (the years are starting to rack up). Trying to write for TV placement, get the recording thing down, etc. is a related but different skill set. Then there is the business side. All of this I try to understand while the industry changes by the hour. I can see why some get disenchanted. But, as others have so eloquently pointed out on this thread, Taxi is not to blame but is the easy scape goat.For me, I have learned a great deal through this association. If you never ever signed up for a membership and just read all the free stuff on the website (which there is a ton from great people in the industry) you would walk away a winner (not a winer). Then there is the rally, the critiques, and you!I have been discouraged from time to time with music long before I was ever a Taxi member. I think all of my friends have complained to me at least once about their jobs too. Some people have a hard time realizing it's not always about them. I think they're the same ones that keep cutting me off in traffic.Christi

rld
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rld » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 am

Sept 12, 2008, 2:29am, gitarrero wrote:well, most of the people I met who thought that taxi is a "scam" felt under one (or more) of the following categories:* they never have been a member, they just were suspicious and did not make their own opinion.* they were members but hadn't success and were disapointed about that. most of the time they either had sent only a few submissions and/or their music was just not ready...* they felt more comfortable with blaming taxi for their lack of success instead of move their own a**es and work on their music.so far my experience. several times it happended that I told them my story and some of them even changed their mind.cheers,martinYes, I have had many heated internet "discussions" defending TAXI to people who insist it's a scam.Like mentioned, some have never been members and just parrot the internet rumors, others are upset after submitting a few times and find it incomprehensible that their music wasn't forwarded and no publishers were beating a path to their door.

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 am

When I see the American Idol auditions, I begin to understand why some people think Taxi screeners don't really "get" their music. But overall, the music business is just plain hyper-competitive, and you have to be very talented at creating what they are buying at the moment.'Cause it's not about art, it's business.Sure, there's some art to it. But this is about what sells. Hence the name "business."

frodo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by frodo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:41 am

Sept 12, 2008, 10:37am, ggalen wrote:'Cause it's not about art, it's business.Sure, there's some art to it. But this is about what sells. Hence the name "business." I remember reading a quote from (presumably) Frank Zappa:The real art is: Creating something from nothing... – and then selling it! - until next timefrodo