Bitter Words about TAXI, So I've Heard...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Bitter Words about TAXI, So I've Heard...

Post by weslong » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:09 pm

I almost joined SonicBids before coming over to TAXI. I gave their free trial about a 15 whirl and then immediately canceled my account. NOW THAT, boys and girls, is a SCAM!! Yeah, let's all pay a fee so that some schmuck can fund his gig and only one member actually gets to play it..Pllleeeasse! Ponzi scheme, anyone?I even did a Google search and came back with some really alarming stuff about them. Nope, I'd have to say TAXI is definitely on the up-and-up. Not mention the fees are better.

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:39 am

Hey Weslong...per your mention of sonicbids, i did some online researchwow...what a friggin scam....~um anyone wanna buy some hair elixir?:)

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Here's a link to what I consider a credible source; most of what I found had to do with the CMJ debacle, which could have been an honest mistake, since it's entirely plausible that the wronged parties' songs were, in fact, downloaded and listened to rather than clicked on SB's website player/counter. But this is much more damning:much more damning
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Sept 15, 2008, 5:45pm, mojobone wrote:Here's a link to what I consider a credible source; most of what I found had to do with the CMJ debacle, which could have been an honest mistake, since it's entirely plausible that the wronged parties' songs were, in fact, downloaded and listened to rather than clicked on SB's website player/counter. But this is much more damning:much more damningWhoa! That's new info. to add to the pile I dug up! It's pretty bad when even a simple Google search on a company immediately brings up so much dirt, to boot!

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:15 am

Sept 13, 2008, 10:36am, kouly wrote:....I can produce MY MUSIC but if I want to sell to a customer, I will need to produce THIER MUSIC. Well said!(*munches popcorn*)
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:40 am

I've been a TAXI member since January of this year and I can honestly say that it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've had a fair number of forwards so far (22) and I've had a fair number of returns as well (30). The critiques have been spot on (with the possible exception of one) and really helped open my eyes to just how far I had to go to get close to being on the same playing field as everyone else. It was a wider gap than I thought, but with the help of the critiques and some of the members on this forum (too many to mention!), I know that I've improved in nearly every facet of my songwriting and musical career because of it. Regarding the naysayers... I'll quote a professional wrestler, Jeff Jarrett, when asked what he would say to those who thought pro wrestling was "fake" as I believe it applies to this situation. He said "To those who believe, no explanation is needed. To those who don't, no explanation will do."- Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:36 am

Sept 12, 2008, 4:40am, orest wrote:Gitarrero, you are one of the reasons I'm still here. You have succeeded and I think if everyone work hard, follow the screeners advices and keep sending music, they will succeed sometime! Of course a little talent is required as well. I think I'm up to 16 forwards now, but I still keep sending new material to new listings, I will do so even if I get a deal. You have to work hard. just saw your post. I agree - if you manage it to organize your life around the music (meaning: have enough time you can spend on making music), have persistance & also some talent, you will succeed sooner or later.I also might add that I don't think that it matters that much where you stand right now - ie if you have 1 forward or 100 forwards.what really matters is that you keep working, and keep improving.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 am

Sept 17, 2008, 4:36am, gitarrero wrote:I don't think that it matters that much where you stand right now - ie if you have 1 forward or 100 forwards.what really matters is that you keep working, and keep improving.EXCELLENT advice
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

stephen1977
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stephen1977 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:19 am

Sept 11, 2008, 3:59am, weslong wrote:Why do I run across people that say TAXI is just a scam that will do nothing for an artist and just empty the wallet? I don't hear much negative feedback, but what I do hear is usually pretty jaded and bitter. Being a newbie, I can't say one way or another myself. I'm still in the 'I have faith in the system if I work hard at it' mentality. I recently joined Taxi.. ..yesterday as a matter of fact. I held off for years due to hearing things such as these. So I thought I would just sit back and wait to see what develops. Most "scams" become uncovered in no time, so when you see a company such as Taxi still alive, kicking and prospering for as long as they have, well, I just don't see them being the enemy.There are many scams out there feeding off the hopes and dreams of musicians. I've been a victim of a few of them over the years. 97 Radio, Garageband, etc., all come to mind. But it was a lesson learned. I've watched Taxi grow from my computer chair for years and years. I think they are good to go.The best we can do as members (I know that sounds funny since I just joined) is do our best to help promote them in a positive light... ...any legit music site for that matter. Anybody with the heart and passion to help independent musicians level the playing field is good in my eyes. I have my own site for indies too and I would hate to see (read) people claiming it was a scam of any kind. Granted my site doesn't offer services as great as these, but still, its the point here.I look forward to building a long and rewarding relationship with Taxi.The last thing I can say about these so called finger pointers, is that in most cases they are most likely blaming somebody else for their mediocre music not finding them any success. The industry is tough. Gets tougher everyday. If you don't offer up a quality product, nobody is going to buy. Enough said.At least a place likes Taxi gives us that opportunity. But you have to have the product for it to work. Nobody is to blame but the creator themselves. Music is subjective I know. But this is a business.

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:07 am

Right.And remember, the buyer determines the quality; not you.You do the best you can, but when the buyer doesn't like it, they don't buy. And they may say it is low quality. Perhaps it is low quality. But perhaps the buyer just doesn't enjoy your style.Either way, it's what they perceive that matters here. Because if you want to make a living at this, they have to buy your stuff.