blanket deals

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GCampbell

blanket deals

Post by GCampbell » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi folks, I'm a first time time poster here. Just started my 2nd year of Taxi.

I've signed some tracks to a few libraries since joining Taxi, but I recently heard through the grapevine that one of them mostly does blanket deals. I was surprised to hear this because there was nothing about blanket deals in my contract. I know that it's quite normal not to pay composers anything from blanket licenses, but is it also common not to even tell you in the contract that they aren't going to pay you anything? The contract just says I get 50% of sync fees, but if they're only doing blanket licenses isn't that a moot point? I guess the caveat is that I only heard this through rumour, I have no hard proof and haven't talked to the library about it.

Also, I have another more general question about researching libraries. Many times I've heard the advice to find out as much as you can about a library. Things like- do they mostly do blanket licenses, or do they collect sync fees? Also, who are their clients? I find this information very hard to come by for a lot of libraries. Their websites don't brag about any clients or placements. I guess I'm curious if other people have ways of investigating without asking the library directly, or if they go in somewhat blind the way I have so far.

Thanks for reading!

SMCM

Re: blanket deals

Post by SMCM » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 pm

I think you'll find that 90% of libraries do blanket deals with production companies for underscore/background cues. That's about the only way for them to get any usages these days. Think of how many cues an average reality TV episode uses - they don't have the budget to pay some kind of individual sync fee for each one, so they get blanket deals. That's just how it is unfortunately. Sometimes a library will split the blanket fee with composers, but that gets very complicated trying to figure out how to split it with so many composers when they likely don't even know whose tracks were used until they see royalty statements a year later. But if they're doing blanket licenses, they're probably getting regular consistent placements, which hopefully pays off for you in performance royalties.

For bigger placements like songs with lyrics, commercials, trailers/tv spots, they will charge a good normal sync fee. Blankets usually just occur for TV shows that need hours of background music.

As far as research, you just have to talk to other composers and share tidbits of information with each other, and then directly ask the libraries if you do manage to get in contact with them. Check out something like Music Library Report for composers' comments on tons of different publishers. Of course it would be easier if not for the "no name dropping libraries" rule on this forum.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 pm

I have deals with 10 libraries, and so far I haven't had much issue with blanket deals. I get back-end royalties for just about all of my placements. There may be a few exceptions.

I agree you should be try to research any library offers. I think the chances of getting a solid deal are better if signing with libraries doing business with Taxi, since Taxi does some due diligence on libraries.

Music Library Report is a good resource, but I don't find all libraries in their database. Plus, take all MLR opinions with a grain of salt, I've seen many postings that are unfairly critical of libraries ... which might be why the Taxi forum doesn't want to get into naming names.

If you're uneasy about signing deals, then you can take some precautions - maybe don't sign a whole bunch of tracks at once, and don't sign tracks that you consider to be extra special or extra valuable ... at least until you see how things go. But it's a long haul ... it could take 1-3 years to get comfortable with a library and the royalty payments.

Sounds like you're doing great, already signing deals in your 2nd year of Taxi. Good luck!

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:49 am

SMCM has you covered and is obviously much more experienced than his small post count would suggest ! I was going to reply something very similar as it mirrors my own experience.

Background music for Reality shows , News, Current affairs etc. is used a hell of a lot... but there's no budget for sync fees in that market. The production companies just pay the library an annual fee for "all you can eat " type access. We get paid the backend royalties from it through our PRO's a year or two down the line.

Out of 10 Libraries I've only ever had one $300 sync fee from a well known non-exclusive library. Their deal is they do not offer blanket deals, and they always get a sync fee which they split 50-50 but they are placing music in higher budget productions like scripted dramas , movies, ads, trailers etc. That's where the budgets are so that's where the money is, but I would also say the bar is higher too and the opportunities less plentiful.

My best earning cue in a blanket library has made over £800 in backend ( it got used in 5 episodes ) so although I never got any sync or blanket split it has made good money, and it's still coming in every Qtr

I research libraries via composer forums, facebook , chatting to other composers here and other places. Also you can see cue sheets in my PRO portal so you can do research that way too.

Mark

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:48 am

SMCM wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 pm
I think you'll find that 90% of libraries do blanket deals with production companies for underscore/background cues... Blankets usually just occur for TV shows that need hours of background music.
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:49 am
SMCM has you covered and is obviously much more experienced than his small post count would suggest ! I was going to reply something very similar as it mirrors my own experience.

Background music for Reality shows , News, Current affairs etc. is used a hell of a lot... but there's no budget for sync fees in that market. The production companies just pay the library an annual fee for "all you can eat " type access. We get paid the backend royalties from it through our PRO's a year or two down the line.
That makes too much sense! I don't recall having the distinction explained so clearly before. :shock:

Do the resources you use help identify the libraries that primarily service reality shows, et. al., versus those that have good working relationships with ad agencies and primetime drama companies? That difference I think would go a long way to defining what a "standard contract" looks like for that library. Am I close?

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:04 pm

GCampbell wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:25 pm
I've signed some tracks to a few libraries since joining Taxi, but I recently heard through the grapevine that one of them mostly does blanket deals. I was surprised to hear this because there was nothing about blanket deals in my contract. I know that it's quite normal not to pay composers anything from blanket licenses, but is it also common not to even tell you in the contract that they aren't going to pay you anything? The contract just says I get 50% of sync fees, but if they're only doing blanket licenses isn't that a moot point? I guess the caveat is that I only heard this through rumour, I have no hard proof and haven't talked to the library about it.
I think I misunderstood your question, I actually thought you were referring to blanket deals where there is no back-end, which happens sometimes (channels owned by Scripps, and other such companies). My agreements do specify I would get 50% of sync fees ... but I've never received one. So in my world that's so rare that it never occurred to me if that was your question. To me, sync fees are like unicorns ... I assumed they were only legend :D

Back on your topic, all of my library agreements have clearly spelled out the handling of blanket licenses. Some say that blankets are not shared with composers; while others say that blankets will be shared at the discretion of, and formulas derived by, the library ... which hasn't happened yet for me (small fish, big pond syndrome).
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

GCampbell

Post by GCampbell » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks for your responses folks! I think I'm starting to get the big picture.