Blaxsploitation track return feedback

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Blaxsploitation track return feedback

Post by pwaara » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:37 pm

I thought I nailed this one, but it got returned. Looking for feedback from you all. I'm curious to see if anyone else hears what the reviewer did. Honestly, I didn't really. Let me know what you all think.

Here is the listing:

"Y190228FX
1970s-Style FUNK/BLAXPLOITATION INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful, globally distributed Music Library that has a great track record of cool placements in Films, TV shows, and TV Commercials. They’re eagerly looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that would fall in the general wheelhouse of the following references:

“Theme From Shaft” by Isaac Hayes

“Superfly” by Curtis Mayfield

“Theme Of Foxy Brown” by Willie Hutch

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only!

Please submit Original 1970s-style Funk Instrumentals that authentically capture the sound and vibe of the Blaxploitation films released during that era. That’s what they want to hear! Your Instrumentals should have plenty of personality, with soulfully expressive melodies, funky bass lines, and solid rhythmic parts. Anything that sounds stiff, MIDI-driven, or obviously quantized won’t work well for this request.

NOTE: Your submissions can be actual Vintage masters recorded/produced in the 1970s, or they can be new Instrumentals that have been recently recorded and just inspired by that era.

All submissions should be about Two Minutes long (give or take). Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed."

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Blaxsploitation track return feedback

Post by ttully » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi Pat,

Cool track!
Definitely has a 70's vibe.
I'm gonna guess they didn't like the bass guitar.... or maybe the brass sound.
At times it does have a midi feel.... but still cool track!

That's my guess,
Tim

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Hey Pat,

Cool track, regardless of the forward or not! I'm new-ish around here, but my guess is on par with Tim's assertion. A few of the virtual instruments sound a little canned and midi driven. You may try throwing in some "humanization" to your midi notes as a way to keep it a little more life-like. (in other words, throw in lots of very small randomizations of velocity and placement)

Also, double time that wah filter! :)

Andrew

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It wasn't the midi the reviewer didn't like. (He didn't mention it.) All the midi was played by humans, so there wasn't any quantization. The horn samples were the hardest to get to sound good, but I still think they came out ok. I'm still curious if anyone else hears what the reviewer didn't like.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 pm

What a cool track :D 8-) .
My only guess would be that it sounded too clean. Maybe some harmonic distortion, even digital clipping could work. Possibly sending instruments on a buss for distortion, tape saturation and possibly reverb to gel things together. I'm just guessing here. Very funky track.
Edit: maybe drop the guitar riff in level after a while.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 am

Feels to slow /laid back to me, and I'm missing the percussion to drive it forward.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:14 am

Great Tune!
I'm guessing the longish intro was part of the negative, seems like we need to jump right into the meat of it
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. Some good comments. The return was due to the recording, particularly the mix. Here's the actual comments.

"Cool concept. You might get closer to the brief's requirement of broadcast quality. You might consider eq'ing your percussion and bringing down the volume a bit in your mix also balancing out your instruments to try to get more of a 70s production sound."

I get that the wah guitar in the intro was a bit too loud. It's interesting the reviewer's reference to the loudness as I a/b the mix with the Shaft reference and actually brought up my levels to match the reference. I also had it a bit more muddy thinking that the 70s production was duller sounding, but again, after a/b it to Shaft, I cleaned it up and brought out more of the high hat than I would have thought I would. Anyway, I think I will play with the mix a bit. I think this track needs to find a home somewhere.

Thanks everyone. The forums are great for honest feedback.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Hey Pat,

Yes...the wah guitar in the intro is a bit loud..... but I think the drums are fine.

Tim

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 am

I really think it's just the arrangement and mix.

The guitar in the into has a lot of reverb on it; it ought to be panned away from the center during rhythmic support. Funk most often has a lot less reverb on rhythm guitars, especially when another instrument has the limelight. Brass should be further back and not as strong. And the bass could be funkier with a bit more bottom and less highs.