Blues Rock. Questions and track

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Blues Rock. Questions and track

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 am

Is this too aggressive for the modern blues rock genre? It’s different from the “bat out of hell” , hard rock I usually write.

I usually write instrumentals but wrote this one as a cue so, is the arrangement too repetitive or is it interesting enough, as is? I like the title for the energy the track creates, do you agree?

This cue may be outside the lines of blues rock but I would like to add my knowledge of hard rock into this genre, if possible. Any ideas on what modern blues rock band this sounds like? This could be the most helpful question you answer for me!

Thanks for responding!
Dan

The track is “Badass Walking” and found on My TAXI page but below is the link to my SoundCloud post..

“Badass Walking”
https://soundcloud.com/dannyweber/badass-walking
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

rockinrob
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Blues Rock. Questions and track

Post by rockinrob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:28 am

The guitar sound and drive sounds great. I would say there is a fine line between your song and metal. Definitely rocked up. Thanks for the ear candy.

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 am

Hey Dan,

Nice track! It's not too heavy for modern blues rock. I bet your track can find a home somewhere. The only suggestion is changing the drums in the first break down section. They are more Heavy Metal than Blues Rock. Blues rock drums are mostly simple and sloppy.

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm

It's got a Stevie Ray Vaughn meets Marylin Manson kinda vibe...at least to my ears anyways.

Nice work! :)

Pat
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

MJFrog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MJFrog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Hey ... my gut is sayin Prog-Rock somewhere between Jeff Beck and Black Keys ...
I could see this getting used ... Nice Work!

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks, Rob... I know it has a hard edge like hard rock but I was hoping someone would see a blues rock band that it might sound like. Guess I will have to pitch this as hard rock from now on.

I like the Stevie comment Pat, the riff reminded me of his playing too with up-strum chords and the down-strum notes. Thanks for that!

Thanks, MJ ! I would love to mix in a progressive rock vibe into my hard rock writing. I will remember that one in the future!

Thank you, Piewack1. I have heard your awesome blues rock/alt rock many times on these forums and couldn’t be more impressed with your music. Great writing, performance, production! Great everything!! I will tone down the drums when I try to write another blues rock track.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I will do some more studying of this genre and see what I can add without going too far “outside the box”.

Much appreciated,
Dan

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

MJFrog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MJFrog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Hey Danny ... I was just thinking that the Hardest Edge blues guy was also at the heart of hard rock ...
Check out Rory Gallager at this 1982 Rockpallast recorded for German TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygauCU0_-xU
Fun to watch

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Thank you, Piewack1. I have heard your awesome blues rock/alt rock many times on these forums and couldn’t be more impressed with your music. Great writing, performance, production! Great everything!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks for that, MJ. Amazing how many rock guitarists were influenced by early blues from the Beatles to Joe Banamassa. I also noticed that even with a Strat, his guitar tones are warm and so is everything else in the band. I will keep that in mind.

Jeff, I bet you are racking up the placements by now! Sorry to say that I haven’t kept up with the people on the forums… been busy doing my own thing but your music has always stood out for me!

Thanks again guys. Keep making the great music!
Dan