BMI vs ASCAP

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nickfever
Impressive
Impressive

BMI vs ASCAP

Post by nickfever » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:45 pm

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I couldn't find much after doing a search on the forum. (I intentionally left out SESAC, since I believe it is more difficult to get into.)Has anyone co-wrote with someone who was a member of the alternate PRO and had a significant difference in their royalty checks??? .... or on the other hand had a very similar payout?Any other pros and/or cons would be appreciated.Thanks, Nick

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: BMI vs ASCAP

Post by squids » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi Nick: Can't say as I've had the problem you mentioned. The only thing I can tell you is that Ascap's free (which is why I'm a member! ) and I hear they'll go to bat foi ya if there're problems anywhere. Good luck, hope you find the answer you're seeking!

nickfever
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickfever » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks for the info Squids!

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm a member of BMI, but from everything I've heard they're both about the same

texasmusicforge

Post by texasmusicforge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:58 am

Bottom line: ASCAP is owned by composers and publishers, BMI is owned by the broadcast industry. A quick look at the home pages for both organizations will give you a pretty good feel for how they operate if you poke around a bit. Your experience with one or the other is going to be a result of how much you're asking them to do for you. If you're at all interested in things like writer showcases or seminars on publishing, look seriously at the events each one has scheduled and where they're holding them. I'd personally lean towards ASCAP if you're looking for help in development as a writer and business owner. If all you're looking for is someone to collect and disburse your royalties, I'd agree there isn't much difference.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:53 am

Quote:Bottom line: ASCAP is owned by composers and publishers, BMI is owned by the broadcast industry. A quick look at the home pages for both organizations will give you a pretty good feel for how they operate if you poke around a bit. Your experience with one or the other is going to be a result of how much you're asking them to do for you. If you're at all interested in things like writer showcases or seminars on publishing, look seriously at the events each one has scheduled and where they're holding them. I'd personally lean towards ASCAP if you're looking for help in development as a writer and business owner. If all you're looking for is someone to collect and disburse your royalties, I'd agree there isn't much difference.On an aside:Hey Ed, really great marketing quote you got goin' on. Nice! Love the "crucial" part, makes it jump out. Good job!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:17 am

I agree that checking out showcases and the like is a good idea if you are interested in services beyond royalty collection. Purely from a payment point of view the difference will be small for the average writer, and lean one way or the other depending on specific uses and application.One thing I recommend is calling or emailing the writer's relations offices of both for your region, and compare how you are being treated.I'm BMI and am very happy overall.BMI seems to have the edge when it comes to (lower profile) instrumental composers, such as people who make a living writing library music like myself.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:34 am

Oh great! Then I made a good choice a long time ago. Glad to hear you feel that way. This is turning out to be an interesting thread, as I never really knew the difference between the 2, or even the things that have been mentioned that make one differ from the other. Good information from everyone!I-468

silverorlead
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by silverorlead » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:01 am

2 Things that helped me make my choice:1- I'm not sure about BMI, but ASCAP has a great program called ASCAP Plus for people starting out. Every year you can submit to them all places your music was performed publicly (gigs of yours, any time someone played your songs, limited one-off play on local radio and TV), and get paid up to $8000 per year depending on how much your work was performed. I love it because I'm not at the point where I'm getting the type of exposure to warrant large-scale royalty collection but can still get some income from my writing.2- It's a small thing, but ASCAP's history was to defend writers, whereas BMI was created when ASCAP went on strike and the broadcasters needed strikebreakers. Nowadays of course they're both similar, but the legendary writers from the early part of the last century were all ASCAP.Those are my 2 cents -BriPS The ASCAP convention is in LA this coming week, and I'll be out there for it. Anyone else going to be? TAXI dots for the ASCAP Expo???:):):)

texasmusicforge

Post by texasmusicforge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:11 am

Quote:On an aside:Hey Ed, really great marketing quote you got goin' on. Nice! Love the "crucial" part, makes it jump out. Good job!Thanks, Mr. or Ms. Squids. When you write music because you have to and not necessarily because you want to, calling it crucial ain't brag, just fact...Best regards,Ed