Brass sounds great

Post by carfo » Wed May 06, 2020 9:03 am

Hi. :) What brass sounds do you use?

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Brass sounds great

Post by mojobone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:08 pm

I have Native Instruments' Session Horns Pro; I like it a bunch.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:25 pm

As usual..it depends

There's all sort of brass...jazzy quartets, big bold orchestral sections, solo instruments, modern hybrid Hans Zimmer type stuff...all depends what you need it for.

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:03 pm

I've mostly used brass for either horn sections in pop or rock songs or solo instruments for jazz-type stuff. Sometimes also for blending with synth sounds.

In those contexts, the key stuff I've used are NI Session Horns (really only occasionally for doing sections where I'm wanting to work quickly and probably playing the section like a keyboard but still wanting *reasonably* authentic-sounding results), and the various instruments from SampleModeling including The Trumpet, The Trombone, and the entire sax family (Mr. Sax A., Mr. Sax B., Mr. Sax T., Ms. Sax S.). The saxes are no longer available from SampleModeling, but their successors are now available from Audio Modeling. In the case of the SampleModeling stuff, though you can play those from keyboards (and they can give a decent amount of realism when you play or program the controllers), I play them with an Akai EWI USB wind controller, which makes it really easy to get realistic performances (though it's a sax-like controller, it even handles the brass stuff reasonably well).

As for the few times I've done (slightly) more orchestral stuff, it's generally been whatever's been available to me at the time that feels like it works in context, sometimes blending sounds from multiple libraries. I think the most recent stuff I did of that sort used Miroslav Philharmonik 2, but I know I've also used the Vienna stuff included with KONTAKT and Garritan's stuff at times. I'm generally not working up real orchestral simulations, though. Even in the most recent thing I did on the orchestral front, it was just using a few orchestral bits (from memory, I think some strings, oboe, and French horn) alongside whatever else I may be doing (at least piano in the most recent case). It's been pretty rare for me to use orchestral brass other than French horns, though. (I just have a thing for French horn and oboe, and strings, of course.)

Rick

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:10 am

These guys are good: https://www.studiohornsection.com/

otherwise I like the NI horns
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

carfo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by carfo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:48 am

Thanks. :)

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm thinking about Chris Hein Compact, anyone have experience with this? I mostly need Motown and Blues type sounds
Other recommendations for these genres?
Thanks