Broadcast Quality Issue

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Broadcast Quality Issue

Post by LongBlackNight » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:36 am

Tim, Cosmic...Yeah, I'll dial the reverb down in addition to eq-ing it. Have gone back and tried that and I agree...the mix was too wet. I've previously accidentally produced mixes with no reverb and you're right...it works, or at least it can work. These are lessons that I've only half-way learned, so I am not consistent about the treatment, but I should be. I'm using a Sonitus plug-in that came with Sonar. I think it's an average quality plug-in, and I think the problem is more with my use of the plug-in than the plug-in, per se. At any rate I've dialed down the reverb and cut it out completely from the piano. From my experimentation previously with delay, I agree that it can at times be a cleaner version of reverb when a light touch is used.

Lester, I found a good vid on eq carving and I applied it to my two piano parts and strings. (I have a rhythm piano and a melody.) I've fiddled with techniques like this for a while but was never convinced anything was happening. Now I'm becoming more convinced that the effect is quite audible. I think it has been a matter of ear training and sensitivity. Amazing how it takes so many years for that to mature. It's great to see and hear others who have been there, done that, recommending these things and showing that they do, in fact, have an effect--a good one.

Still working on an updated mix. I believe it is moving in the right direction. Will have something soon. Thanks for all the help!

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Broadcast Quality Issue

Post by LongBlackNight » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 am

Tim, Cosmic...Yeah, I'll dial the reverb down in addition to eq-ing it. Have gone back and tried that and I agree...the mix was too wet. I've previously accidentally produced mixes with no reverb and you're right...it works, or at least it can work. These are lessons that I've only half-way learned, so I am not consistent about the treatment, but I should be. I'm using the Sonitus plug-in that came with Sonar. I think it's an average quality plug-in and that the problem is more with my use of it than the plug-in, per se. At any rate I've dialed down the reverb and cut it out completely from the piano. From my experimentation previously with delay, I agree that it can at times be a cleaner version of reverb when a light touch is used.

Lester, I found a good vid on eq carving and I applied it to my two piano parts and strings. (I have a rhythm piano and a melody.) I've fiddled with techniques like this for a while but was never convinced anything was happening. Now I'm becoming more convinced that the effect is quite audible. Apparently a matter of ear training and sensitivity. Amazing how it takes so many years for that to mature. It's great to see and hear others who have been there, done that, recommending these things and showing that they do, in fact, have a pronounced effect.

Still working on an updated mix. I believe it is moving in the right direction. Will have something soon. Thanks for all the help!