Broadjam Problems

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Broadjam Problems

Post by jeffe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:52 am

Until they completely sort out their flakiness, can we refer to them as 'NarrowJam'?
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:54 am

Until then I'll be going to listen to peoples tracks and commenting on how atmospheric the silence is.

bitwhys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bitwhys » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 am

You haven't changed MP3 rendering engines lately, have you? Something that maybe assumes a codec of some sort not all installations have? I have no idea if NarrowJam tweaks the incoming files. Just grasping at straws in public.
"Its a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author - and that he did not learn it better" - Nietzsche

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 am

It's certainly weird goings on at NJ.Funny thing is, is that it works for some people and not for others. I tried using two different browsers. and got the same results. So you may be right with the codec idea. However. If they are all encoded the same then none would work or all would work.Here's an interesting question to those hosting their songs at NarrowJam.Did you upload MP3's and were they all the same bitrate?Sometimes, some codecs have issues with certain bitrates.It's a real puzzle

bitwhys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bitwhys » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:43 am

Quote:...So you may be right with the codec idea. However. If they are all encoded the same then none would work or all would work...that's what logic would dictate and you're probably right but trust me, when it comes to having no clue what's causing a computer problem, logic ruling out a possibility tends to be a first clue.
"Its a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author - and that he did not learn it better" - Nietzsche

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:54 am

Either that or they've done some mods to their flash player and screwed something up. That's if it is a flash player.Oh. Whatever player it is. Perhaps they've screwed the code up.That makes sense. I'm happy with that.Now watch them prove me wrong.

broadjammatt

Post by broadjammatt » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 am

Quote:Either that or they've done some mods to their flash player and screwed something up. That's if it is a flash player.Oh. Whatever player it is. Perhaps they've screwed the code up.That makes sense. I'm happy with that.Now watch them prove me wrong.jeffe, You asked for it, you got it. It is indeed a Flash player that we are using. We haven't made any modifications to our player code recently. The streaming issues that some listeners of Broadjam have been encountering were instead caused by technical problems at our streaming provider. It appears that some songs have been locking up their servers. Unfortunately our provider doesn't know exactly what it was about the songs that caused the servers to start locking things up. Our provider has now raised the issue with Adobe (the makers of Flash) and is currently working with them to figure what caused the Adobe streaming server to improperly interpret certain MP3s so that we can look for the issue in future songs. We've removed the known culprits from rotation, which has alleviated the strain on the servers.Matt BTW, Every geographic area streams from a different server located around the world. This is why when this problem has occurred some listeners in a given locale can stream while listeners in another locale cannot.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:54 pm

Now why didn't I think of that.Probably because I wasn't sure it was Flash or not Anyway. It's good to know they are working on the problem. It's been quite an issue, as you can probably tell from lots of posts scattered all over this forum. Complaining about it. that's just this forum!I'm sure lots of songwriters around the world will be breathing a sigh of relief when things smooth out.The BroadJam Inbox will probably be sighing with relief too.

broadjammatt

Post by broadjammatt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:00 am

jeffe,We are indeed working on the problem - and I signed up just to let you know that. The thing is that the problem isn't as prevalent as it feels to the those that experience it. However, for musicians in an online world we completely understand the importance of access to their songs.I will be much happier when this is fixed. The worst part is that we wouldn't be experiencing these problems if we hadn't gone the extra mile to secure artists' songs.Matt

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:09 am

Great to hear that Matt.I know where you're coming from when you mention about securing. Tightening security has an unnerving habit of presenting further issues.Just ask Microsoft