Building a studio computer

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Building a studio computer

Post by booker » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:30 am

I had a puter that did that once, I'm trying to remember what we did to it. Seems like it had reprogramed to try and boot from the A-drive first, then the CD, then the IDE. Since it couldn't find what it wanted on the A-drive, it wouldn't boot until we went in and told it to boot from the IDE first.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:55 am

You might have to go to the utility that tells it what drive to boot from. You may have to explicitly tell it to boot from the internal drive All I can figure is that it wants to boot from the external drive, but when you unplugged it, it lost some configuration information. I have a laptop that does that a lot. It is a pain, but not fatal.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:55 am

I found my way into the setup for the boot order. The first one is inactive and the second in the CD drive. I can try fiddling with that I guess. I have 2 internal hard drives so it should be one or the other. Thanks, hope it works.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:44 am

It sounds like unplugging the drive did change something. You should be booting from one of the internal hard drives. Let us know.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:29 am

Rock and Ed,Thanks for posting your advice. I fixed the problem by hours of uneducated experimentation.The boot order in the set up had the 2nd internal hard drive 1st and the 1st one 2nd. I switched them around and then it started up properly.Computers can be so complex for someone who prefers paper and pen. I was told by various people to do a hard disk retrieval and reformat everything, throw away my PC and get a Mac, give up producing and stick to songwriting, etc. But then the fix was so easy.If there's any advice I'd give to upcoming artists... be persistent, be very persistent. All's well that ends well. Thanks for trying to help!!!!Nomi

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:26 am

I am a computer god! well..... it was a good guess. This from the guy that couldn't find the eject button.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:51 am

Glad it worked. Too many puters wind up being good boat anchors.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Quote:I am a computer god! well..... it was a good guess. This from the guy that couldn't find the eject button.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Quote:Glad it worked. Too many puters wind up being good boat anchors.Thanks for the warning...

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:44 pm

I've spent a long while learning how to mix, since I've always had my tracks mixed by a pro studio.Besides learning to mix, I've had to conquer an seemingly endless learning curve in my new studio system.I'm finally ready to play you something. This is a song called Couldn't Walk Away that was on my 2005 CD. After getting feedback from Taxi, Steve Seskin, West Coast Songwriters and some of you here on the forum, I've rewritten and rerecorded it. So you might have heard a version of it but here is the new and improved song.I've improved from being a total mix-challenged idiot. You tell me if you think it's broadcast-ready yet. Am I on the right track or is it back to the drawing board? I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.Nomihttp://www.taxi.com/nomiCouldn't Walk Away