BUILDING, EMOTIONAL TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DavidClipperton

BUILDING, EMOTIONAL TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS

Post by DavidClipperton » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:52 pm

Hey TAXI passengers!

Just finished the first draft of a track for listing #S210725EM. Any ideas, advice, criticism?

https://soundcloud.com/davidclipperton/ ... Ge1kFBHP7F

Cheers!

-David

BUILDING, EMOTIONAL TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Library: "We're looking for Instrumentals with a building structure that starts subtle and grows into a big, epic resolution. That said, each Instrumental should have one consistent motif and always stay very underscore-friendly, ie: No prominent melodies at all. Rather, your arrangements should keep the pieces interesting by creating what we call 'sound substance' (little sound tinkering, layering, development within existing elements (e.g. percussion), etc). So, the development should happen through the arrangement and the production and NOT by adding additional harmonic elements. Style-wise, your tracks should be much like trailer Instrumentals based on the sections and build, but with a clear hybrid approach and not overly orchestral/classical in instrumentation (but also not getting synth-y). Building, epic themes with a cinematic feel and a hybrid approach are what we want to hear. Again, imagine 'Arise From Ashes', Rebirth, etc."

Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that have an overall epic, emotional sound and feel. Your submissions should have polished production, high-quality virtual instruments and samples, and 3 "acts" that build to a climactic ending.

All submissions should be around 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: BUILDING, EMOTIONAL TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:15 pm

Wonderful track! Any critique I could offer would be truly nitpicking. Well done.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 am

Very well written! I might suggest revisiting the overall EQ, though. It seems to me like it could use some more low end and a little less on the top. Great stuff... keep it up! :D

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:26 am

I wouldn't add any more low end to it , it's already quite full sounding down there. If anything I might be taking a little of the sub out.

Sounds really well done overall, in the section around 60s the reverse white noise type rise is a bit too sharp - kinda poking out , I might sink those back more or filter some of the HF out of them

At 1:32 I feel like the breakdown just needs a bit more contrast , maybe try automating a LPF on the strings/pads so it acts a bit more like a riser and we get more build up / anticipation of the final section.

Nice track !

Mark

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:46 am

Upon further review, I agree with Mark about the sub-bass. It does not need to be louder. I was listening with my headphones on and the sub-bass didn't translate well. It sounded much better through my monitors. I still feel that the normal bass frequencies, aside from the sub-bass booms, could be a little lacking. It seemed somewhat empty in that range when I couldn't hear the sub-bass. It's still a great track, though.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:31 am

jdkotaska wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:46 am
I still feel that the normal bass frequencies, aside from the sub-bass booms, could be a little lacking. It seemed somewhat empty in that range when I couldn't hear the sub-bass
With the sub bass reduced it'll need a compensatory boost higher up ...sounds more like the 300hz area needs adjusting to me, a gentle boost with a wide Q...low mids / warmth / fullness more than out and out bass

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:20 pm

DavidClipperton wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:52 pm

Just finished the first draft of a track for listing #S210725EM. Any ideas, advice, criticism?

https://soundcloud.com/davidclipperton/ ... Ge1kFBHP7F

Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required.

" non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. "

Does your track fulfill that requirement?

My transcription skills are not so good, is your final chord B∆ ? The final high ping piano note is A ? So you are ending the piano melody on the 7th ?
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 pm

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:20 pm

" non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. "

Does your track fulfill that requirement?
From what I've been able to gather, even a fairly drawn out held note or chord can qualify as a stinger ending. What you don't want is a phrase repeating over and over again and fading as it repeats. I'm not positive on this, though.

===
Michael

DavidClipperton

Post by DavidClipperton » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:54 am

Paulie wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:15 pm
Wonderful track! Any critique I could offer would be truly nitpicking. Well done.
Thanks so much for checking it out!

DavidClipperton

Post by DavidClipperton » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:56 am

jdkotaska wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:46 am
Upon further review, I agree with Mark about the sub-bass. It does not need to be louder. I was listening with my headphones on and the sub-bass didn't translate well. It sounded much better through my monitors. I still feel that the normal bass frequencies, aside from the sub-bass booms, could be a little lacking. It seemed somewhat empty in that range when I couldn't hear the sub-bass. It's still a great track, though.
Thanks for listening and for the advice!