Can I submit AI rap? (I won't!)

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Can I submit AI rap?

Post by hummingbird » Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am

In my opinion, using AI to assist you in coming up with ideas and suggestions for your creative work is fine. Beyond that, using AI to write lyrics = potential plagiarism as nothing AI produces is unique. Using an AI-generated facsimile of an artist's voice is going to be a legal minefield for awhile. If nothing else, it smacks of 'sampling' which is a no-no in sync music. e
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Tue May 09, 2023 11:49 am

hummingbird wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am
... using AI to write lyrics = potential plagiarism as nothing AI produces is unique.
I highly doubt that. I googled AI-created lyrics before and nothing comparable came up. It may be just as original (and unknowingly plagiarizing) as human lyrics.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Tue May 09, 2023 1:14 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am
In my opinion, using AI to assist you in coming up with ideas and suggestions for your creative work is fine. Beyond that, using AI to write lyrics = potential plagiarism as nothing AI produces is unique. Using an AI-generated facsimile of an artist's voice is going to be a legal minefield for awhile. If nothing else, it smacks of 'sampling' which is a no-no in sync music. e
Here, the prompt for Uberduck was "Hummingbird thinks that AI plagiarizes lyrics." This is what it had to say:

AI Debate

I'm the best rapper alive, let me set the stage
Talking 'bout hummingbirds and AI, it's all the rage
They say AI's the future, but we gotta be wary
'Cause hummingbirds think they're plagiarizing, it's kinda scary
AI can write lyrics that flow like the river Nile
But hummingbirds say they're stealing, that's just vile
It's like a cheetah stealing a lion's roar
Or an eagle taking credit for a hawk's soar
AI can spit bars that make your head spin
But hummingbirds say they're copying, that's a sin
It's like a wolf dressing up like a sheep
Or a shark pretending to be a fish that's cheap
AI's got algorithms that analyze and create
But hummingbirds say they're fake, it's up for debate
It's like a snake stealing a mongoose's bite
Or a falcon taking credit for a sparrow's flight
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue May 09, 2023 5:07 pm

... and in all the time you've spent fretting over whether you can get away without doing any work, you could have written it yourself (with a lot more satisfaction too). Then you'd only have to worry about how to avoid paying a vocalist. :roll: :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue May 09, 2023 6:56 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:07 pm
... and in all the time you've spent fretting over whether you can get away without doing any work, you could have written it yourself (with a lot more satisfaction too). Then you'd only have to worry about how to avoid paying a vocalist. :roll: :lol:
+1
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm

When the first cars came out, I am sure many people pointed out that it was much faster to walk or ride a horse than first building a car and then drive it.

P.S.: This statement possibly is still true today. If you subtracted the entire automotive industry and what depends on it, all these people would have enough time to walk and take horses for all necessary travel. So, given that…

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Tue May 09, 2023 11:18 pm

Future lyricists will have no writer’s block anymore, because the AI can always help. There is no doubt in my mind that AI-generated or -inspired lyrics will become a major part of the music business. And that’s possibly OK.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 10, 2023 1:29 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm
When the first cars came out, I am sure many people pointed out that it was much faster to walk or ride a horse than first building a car and then drive it.

P.S.: This statement possibly is still true today. If you subtracted the entire automotive industry and what depends on it, all these people would have enough time to walk and take horses for all necessary travel. So, given that…
Building the car required creativity but not driving it. Calculators, spreadsheets and DAWs provide functionality and make things easier, but don't replace or displace creativity. You give the impression that you want to use AI not to enable creativity, but to replace it, so you don't have to do anything. In that case, who needs you or I when everyone else in the world can do the same thing with little or no ability?
Future lyricists will have no writer’s block anymore, because the AI can always help.
I see that as.... future 'button pushers' will need no ideas of their own or skill or creativity or craft or individuality, even if they are incapable of discerning the mundane from the moving and profound. I also see two possible outcomes. One is that the ease of generating AI output could mean that true creativity by truly creative humans will have absolutely no value. The other, which I hope for but it seems less likely, is that truly creative humans will be put on a pedestal because they don't need no stinkin' 'puter to come up with ideas, and they're willing to learn and strive to express themselves rather than hitch a free ride! :lol:

CTWF wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:18 pm
There is no doubt in my mind ...... And that’s possibly OK.
:lol: 8-)
Last edited by Telefunkin on Wed May 10, 2023 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Wed May 10, 2023 1:57 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:29 am
Building the car required creativity but not driving it.
Some people would possibly argue against that. What if you replace "car" by "DAW"?

AI is another tool to support human invention and creativity, but that does not mean that AI can be denied creativity in itself. Why not take AI lyrics and AI beats as a starting point for a new project? What needs to happen is that the legal framework becomes clear. Therefore my other thread. :)

ctwf-rules-for-the-fair-use-of-ai-voice ... 50692.html

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 10, 2023 8:13 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:57 am
AI is another tool to support human invention and creativity, but that does not mean that AI can be denied creativity in itself. Why not take AI lyrics and AI beats as a starting point for a new project? What needs to happen is that the legal framework becomes clear. Therefore my other thread. :)

ctwf-rules-for-the-fair-use-of-ai-voice ... 50692.html
...and what if it doesn't want to support you? What if its says "oh no, don't ask me to generate yet another rap lyric, that would be my 100'000th today!' Also, if its so smart, then it won't be you making up the rules (not that it would be anyway), it'll make its own up. :roll: :)