Can I submit AI rap? (I won't!)

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Can I submit AI rap? (I won't!)

Post by CTWF » Thu May 11, 2023 8:29 am

eeoo wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:13 am
Behind the curve or ahead of it?
It possibly will be like working with autotune - some singer/acts can still do without, but most don't.

Edit: And, then, one day, vinyl/natural/non-AI will be en vogue again in some niche.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu May 11, 2023 9:24 am

What I don't get is what is the draw? If creating a track is so unenjoyable that you have to outsource the whole process, what's the point? Purely monetary? I guess I can see that. I could see production music getting outsourced 100% to AI since it is derivative by nature. Hopefully my "niche" of recording everything through a mic and writing my own lyrics won't get me into trouble with the borg. :lol:

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Thu May 11, 2023 11:43 am

eeoo wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:24 am
What I don't get is what is the draw? If creating a track is so unenjoyable that you have to outsource the whole process, what's the point? Purely monetary? I guess I can see that. I could see production music getting outsourced 100% to AI since it is derivative by nature. Hopefully my "niche" of recording everything through a mic and writing my own lyrics won't get me into trouble with the borg. :lol:
I indeed think that there always be that niche.

I myself am not a good singer, not even a native English speaker, don't really play any instrument, and still I have just had a lot of fun producing this first test balloon / demo for a trap loop. Which parts of it are AI?

https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/trickynicki ... al_sharing

LYRICS

Tricky Nicki
--------------

Nicki, Nicki, don't play me tricky
My rhymes are sharp, they'll cut you quickie
I'm the best rapper alive, you can't deny me

Nicki

You're just a small fry, a minnow in a lake
While I'm the real deal, a heavyweight

https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu May 11, 2023 2:39 pm

If I had to guess I'd say all of it.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Thu May 11, 2023 2:47 pm

eeoo wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 2:39 pm
If I had to guess I'd say all of it.
:mrgreen: OK, I bite:

1. The lyrics are part-AI, but I adjusted them to my needs. Of course, I prompted them.
2. The rapper is a AI, but again, heavily chopped and processed by me.
3. The lady is me (an almost never singing male with a heavy German accent), so, yes, AI was used to make my voice pretty.
4. Part of the background arpeggio is from Bach's "Toccata und Fuge".
5. Everything else is entirely "fake" - i.e. created with a DAW (like most people do it on here).

I feel I fully own this stub. It's me who created it (heck, I even sing on it) - with some inspiration from the outside (as always in art). But the AI made this demo possible. I think this I can easily pitch to vocalists for a collab, while without the vocals, it would be harder.

Tom

P.S.: This was created entirely with free software and free plugins.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu May 11, 2023 3:11 pm

This is so incomprehensibly foreign to me I can't even begin to fathom a response.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Thu May 11, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm interested in following a CTWF experiment.

On the generated rap - sounds fake but direction I got is it sounded like how K-pop or J-pop would approach rap for a cartoon.

Which could be great market

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Thu May 11, 2023 10:03 pm

eeoo wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:11 pm
This is so incomprehensibly foreign to me I can't even begin to fathom a response.
If you mostly produce vocals+guitar, I fully understand that perspective. If you produce Trap, EDM, Dramedy, Orchestral Hybrid, everything comes out of a box (DAW) anyway. Now the box can do a little bit more (AI). Not such a big deal, really. It just needs proper established rules, so we can work with it.

Tom

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Thu May 11, 2023 10:04 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:39 pm
I'm interested in following a CTWF experiment.

On the generated rap - sounds fake but direction I got is it sounded like how K-pop or J-pop would approach rap for a cartoon.

Which could be great market
Interesting! And I would not be surprised if AI songs first became a more established thing in Asia, as compared to Europe and the Americas.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 12, 2023 4:40 am

CTWF wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:03 pm
If you produce Trap, EDM, Dramedy, Orchestral Hybrid, everything comes out of a box (DAW) anyway.
Yes and if you use components out of the box without significant editing, chances of a lawsuit are real. Libraries and end uses are increasingly concerned about this and anything/everything that could put them in legal jeopardy. Digital signature recognition picks up a lot of these similarities.

I assume you are only talking about the voice and not the rap words being AI generated because the subject of AI generated lyrics is another explosive minefield.

As I mentioned earlier, using the AI voice to create a guide track for a co-writer rapper would be the way to go. Write a great rap song/track and finding a singer for the co-write would be easy IMO. It's the great song that is key to everything-- don't put the cart before the horse.

I didn't want to respond again on this thread because TBH, re-hashing this subject is getting very old. (It's getting quite the bad rap around here. :lol: )

Best,
:D Casey