Can you recommend a good cheap weighted MIDI keyboard?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Can you recommend a good cheap weighted MIDI keyboard?

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 am

Thanks Mojobone,

Lots of food for thought there. I think the final decision for me will lie between getting one with built in sounds or just a pure controller.

I'm still eager to get my hands on some to test the feel/playability.

Will make a point of trying to find both the Yamaha and Casio models you recommend.

eliotpister1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eliotpister1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 am

Hi Rob,

I have had a few MIDI controllers over the last few years. Like everybody else (!) I've got the M-Audio Pro Keys 88, and would recommend it. It's absolutely massive and heavy (considering it doesn't have any of the guts that a synthesizer needs), but the weighted action is very close to an acoustic piano - maybe even a bit too heavy. i got this on Craigslist for $300.

I've also got one of those tiny Akai MKP25 keyboards that fits into my laptop bag and allows me to go for a hike, sit down on a rock and write music! How cool is that?! It's uber tiny, but it does have good feel for what it is. Retail $49 (on sale).

If you're looking for something in the middle, I'd recommend the Axiom line of controllers from M-Audio. They've got full-sized weighted keys and really good build quality. I had the 25 key version, but there's a 49 and 61 key model as well, I like the Axiom's because they've got a banks of sliders and knobs that you can assign to strips in your DAW software, as well as dedicated transport controls. I see them all the time on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck!

Cheers, Eliot.
Taxi Member since 2004...
http://www.greengatemedia.com

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Good work, thanks for the advice, Eliot! I'm gonna check out the Akai MKP25 for travel use. Noticed a fair few Axioms around, used, nicely within my budget too.

I'm so glad I brought this question to the forum: it's really got me thinking now and is helping me shift my approach and question my objectives.

I'm tempted to look into spending (much) more on a nice full(er)-weighted keyboard at some point in the future - this will give me time to save and try out quite a few.

So that would be a really nice investment down the road and in the meantime getting a set of keys with reasonably decent action and enough notes to get my ideas down, for now and so they're not lost, and to use as a controller interface.

Very much appreciate all the advice you given me to here, folks! :D

whatsthedealman

Post by whatsthedealman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input on this topic. I too am looking for a keyboard - one that I can use in the studio (with MIDI) but also use for live performances. I've been overwhelmed by what's out there (never shopped for one before) but these suggestions have given me a place to start.

Thanks!

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 pm

whatsthedealman wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input on this topic. I too am looking for a keyboard - one that I can use in the studio (with MIDI) but also use for live performances. I've been overwhelmed by what's out there (never shopped for one before) but these suggestions have given me a place to start.

Thanks!
Cool! 8-) Let us know how you get on :D

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:37 am

Probably the best cheap fully weighted 88:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/121671
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:54 am

Looks promising!!

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 am

elser wrote:Best bang for the buck I've seen is the Casio stuff. You gotta get past the name, but if you can do that I think you'll find you really like the action on it.
I've been looking at the Casio Privia models and quite impressed so far. Reasonably priced too.

gtrmann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gtrmann » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm

I am a guitar player that sometimes bangs on keys... I also like 88 weighted keys....like to feel the resistance on both my piano and guitar....I use 11-50 on my strats and teles too....LOL

The Casio Privia line is decent for the price...... That is what I would buy on a budget

The Korg SP series keyboards have Fatar key assemblies as do the Kurzweil stage pianos......but more money than the Casio...... if you can swing it

I personally bang on a Kurzweil PC-88 or a Korg SP-100....older keyboards...... they both have the same key assemblies....... Fatar

I work on gear for a living, we are authorized keyboard warranty for..... Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Casio, Roland...... some others I can't remember now....we are authorized for over 40 manufacturers currently........

JUST MY OPINION........!!!!
Bruce Wendel
Song Wronger

Resistance isn't futile, it's voltage divided by current

Taxi
Soundcloud
Amp Repair | Sound System
Cover band

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:36 pm

FWIW, I don't actually know what "weight" is with respect to keyboards. Having said that, my first midi keyboard was an ESI 49+ and it was very light against the fingers. Now I'm using a Behringer UMX490 and it's great. The keys 'resist' my playing and it's easy to get sensitivity into the recording. Plus it has heaps of assignable knobs and buttons, but only one fader.