Can you use non-lyrical vocals in instrumental tracks?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DanL
Active
Active

Can you use non-lyrical vocals in instrumental tracks?

Post by DanL » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:03 am

I have a question about TAXI instrumental listings: Is it generally okay to use non-lyrical vocals in instrumental tracks? Or does it have to be stated in the description that it can be used?

In epic game and trailer music, for example, it is fairly common to have vocal leads on ”oh” or ”ah”. And choirs singing "ah" or other vowels are common to. What are your experience/thoughts about using non-lyrical vocals in different types of instrumental tracks?

Thanks!
Dan
Daniel Leksell | music for film, TV and games
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-leksell-film-music

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Can you use non-lyrical vocals in instrumental tracks?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:27 am

Yes, if they are a norm of the genre it's okay to use them and somewhat expected in certain genres

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:14 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:27 am
Yes, if they are a norm of the genre it's okay to use them and somewhat expected in certain genres
In most cases, listings will say if that's allowed. When it doesn't say it, I'd be careful and if unsure, ask Taxi directly. I agree with Mark that it's normal for certain genres. However, screeners might assume it's not allowed unless the client was specific about it and I'd hate to see someone get a return by making an assumption.

:D Casey

DanL
Active
Active

Post by DanL » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:21 pm

Thanks for your replies!

How about the case when a reference track has non-lyrical vocals in it, but it isn't written in the description that you can use vocals?
And a more general question, what do you think are most important: To follow the written descriptions or the references (especially when they do not match)?

JayJayStudios
Active
Active

Post by JayJayStudios » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 pm

Recently got a forward to an instrumental listing and I used a non-lyrical "ahh" a couple of times. So I reckon as long as they aren't occuring to often within a song it is quite okay

JayJayStudios
Active
Active

Post by JayJayStudios » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:25 pm

DanL wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:21 pm
Thanks for your replies!

How about the case when a reference track has non-lyrical vocals in it, but it isn't written in the description that you can use vocals?
And a more general question, what do you think are most important: To follow the written descriptions or the references (especially when they do not match)?
For me it makes sense to follow the references more. Because most people got a good understanding of what it should sound like but they can't put it into words.

Claiming blatantly some of them are just not music experts so they are rather lacking the wording but they got a good understanding of how it needs to sound if that makes sense...
Could be wrong though

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:02 pm

JayJayStudios wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:25 pm
For me it makes sense to follow the references more. Because most people got a good understanding of what it should sound like but they can't put it into words.
I agree. In MOST cases, the references rule. That in no way means you don't need to pay close attention to all the words in the listing. They may add additional hints, explanation, requirements, limitations, and lots more. My observation has been that the most successful members load one of the reference tracks into their DAW and do a lot of A/B listens to see how they compare.

:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:02 pm
My observation has been that the most successful members load one of the reference tracks into their DAW and do a lot of A/B listens to see how they compare.
I load all of the references into my DAW to A/B

DanL
Active
Active

Post by DanL » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:41 am

JayJayStudios wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:25 pm
DanL wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:21 pm
Thanks for your replies!

Claiming blatantly some of them are just not music experts so they are rather lacking the wording but they got a good understanding of how it needs to sound if that makes sense...
Could be wrong though
I think this makes sense!

I was with TAXI two years 2017–2018, and has recently joined again (don't know yet if I'm going to regret it). I remember that I was frustrated with many of the returns back then, because often I got info with the returns that hadn't been written in the lead. Info that I would have needed before spending days writing the music.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:50 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 am
Casey H wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:02 pm
My observation has been that the most successful members load one of the reference tracks into their DAW and do a lot of A/B listens to see how they compare.
I load all of the references into my DAW to A/B
I know you do. But I was talking about SUCCESSFUL people. :lol: :lol: :P :P (just razzin' ya, of course)