We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mattbee
Active
Active

Cartoon instrumental feedback

Post by mattbee » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:36 pm

Hi all,
I thought I'd have a go at writing for the below taxi listing, but it's been hard work, and only 20 seconds in (but a couple of hours spent on the track so far) I'm wondering if you think it is on target, or if I'm better to quit while I'm ahead on this one?
The references are quite spontaneous, quirky, like an explosion of ideas in many different directions as they follow the picture, so I'm not sure if putting it into a more cohesive 'cue' form makes it sound too stiff?
Anyway, unmixed etc but here's my progress so far before I add anything else, would be ever so grateful for people's thoughts on if continuing to develop the theme, adding a B section etc will likely be enough, or if it's not even in the creative/quirky ballpark required, here.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9t5c877g ... kror4&dl=0

Listing:
"GOLDEN AGE of CARTOONS" INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Brand New Music Licensing Company started by a seasoned industry pro! They already have distribution for their catalog, and because it's a new company this is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a new relationship with an awesome, new Music Library!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references we got directly from them:

Looney Tunes - Flockheed Eggcraft Factory

Tom and Jerry - Twinkletoes

Looney Tunes - Plumber's Quack

Please submit Orchestral-based Cartoon-Style Instrumental Cues that are reminiscent of the "Golden Age" of Cartoons (Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Tom and Jerry, etc.). Humorous and delightful motifs and dynamic arrangements with plenty of forward motion and interest are needed for this request. Orchestral instrumentation that's in the general stylistic ballpark of the references will work best (trombone with plunger, pizzicato strings, violin, flute, xylophone, etc.). Craft your Cues around a single melodic motif that has a sense of forward movement and dynamic builds by adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as the piece progresses.

PLEASE READ THE NEXT SECTION CAREFULLY TO MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A GREAT SUBMISSION!

SUPER Important Quote from our Client: “Since you won’t be scoring to picture, you won’t be able to create music that syncs up to the action. Instead, you need to create music that has cartoonish MOMENTS within an otherwise 'normal' composition/Cue that's still humorous, delightful, silly, funny, and/or whacky. Editors will find and use what they need to 'score' and emphasize/highlight the cartoonish moments with your pizzi strings, muted trumpet, trombone slides, etc. Here's what we mean: Think of a bassoon or pizzi strings doing an ascending riff while Bugs Bunny circles a tree, hiding from Elmer Fudd. Or a generally humorous piece that's used as score, but also has a tin whistle slide that could be edited/synced up to highlight a comical moment like a character falling down a hole. In other words, your overall composition needs to be funny-ish, but not over-the-top, AND you should occasionally include riffs, sounds, stings, etc. that can be used to highlight and accent comedic moments - boink!"
Your submissions should be between 1:30 and 2:30 minutes long. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed. Please make sure any virtual orchestral instruments you use are high-quality, era-appropriate,

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, February 6th, 2024. TAXI # S240206CT

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Cartoon instrumental feedback

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:19 am

Hey Matt -- this sounds great so far! Definitely keep going and submit this. Maybe try going up a step to give it a little variation? I think you can just keep adding elements, then do a break down and final build with everything going at once. Sounds really on-track to me.

mattbee
Active
Active

Re: Cartoon instrumental feedback

Post by mattbee » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:15 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:19 am
Hey Matt -- this sounds great so far! Definitely keep going and submit this. Maybe try going up a step to give it a little variation? I think you can just keep adding elements, then do a break down and final build with everything going at once. Sounds really on-track to me.
Thanks so much, really appreciate it and to be honest needed to hear that to keep pushing with this one. Thanks :)