with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ShaunS
Active
Active

CC controllers

Post by ShaunS » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:47 pm

Hi all.
Im trying to get my head around and learn about CC Controllers (am finding it a bit intricate and tricky)
I'm fairly early days with this and just wanted to know - am I getting ahead of myself?
yet to learn the finer points of Compression EQ, PADS ,layering. etc
how urgent is this one...
I'm using Studio one Professional.
any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers
Shaun S

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: CC controllers

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:02 pm

ShaunS wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:47 pm
Im trying to get my head around and learn about CC Controllers (am finding it a bit intricate and tricky)
There's not much to learn really, they are just continious midi controllers. Here is a list of the most common ones.

1 = Modulation wheel.
2 = Breath Control.
7 = Volume.
10 = Pan.
11 = Expression.
64 = Sustain Pedal (on/off)
65 = Portamento (on/off)
71 = Resonance (filter)

You can can control then with knobs and sliders on your midi controller. Various midi instruments will respond to these, notably orchestal sample libraries where it's essential to use volume and expression to make them sound realistic so I wouldn't worry about them too much unless you're making orchestral tracks.

Mark

kjckjc
Active
Active

Post by kjckjc » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:12 pm

I'm with you ShaunS... Also fairly new to all this tech... I got the music part down - many music degrees, decades in the biz, etc... however - I am finding the technology of creating the music is bogging me down (I swore many times to toss it all - get myself an old 24 track tape machine and a vintage board - and go with that - what I learned on in the 70's/80's)!!!... However - I am committed to this... I have been studying many YT vids, trying to learn the "art" of creating realistic orchestral productions... "cosmicdolphin's" suggestions are what I want to set up... My issues are on HOW to set all that up with my midi controller... I get lost with the set ups and assigning of that stuff... just over my head it seems (I am older, if that wasn't obvious)... Doesn't mean I can't or won't... just gets real frustrating sometimes... Even simply downloading plugins, using and assigning them, etc... just bogs me down... Hard to focus on just the music part - when the tech keeps getting in the way!... But I am learning tho... slowly but surely ("and don't call me Shirley"!)... Good Luck!!
..."To Play a Wrong Note is Insignificant... To Play Without Passion is Inexcusable"...
~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

https://www.taxi.com/members/kencrombie

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:51 pm

kjckjc wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:12 pm
My issues are on HOW to set all that up with my midi controller... I get lost with the set ups and assigning of that stuff
You shouldn't really need to assign anything to get started, just use the Mod wheel on your midi keyboard

Try this video - I reccommend looking at some of the other videos as well https://youtu.be/Ep9K8SG8Jos?si=7wWaCYk9tY6XeRu9

ShaunS
Active
Active

Post by ShaunS » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:52 am

kjckjc wrote:
I'm with you ShaunS... Also fairly new to all this tech... I got the music part down - many music degrees, decades in the biz, etc... however - I am finding the technology of creating the music is bogging me down (I swore many times to toss it all - get myself an old 24 track tape machine and a vintage board - and go with that - what I learned on in the 70's/80's)!!!... However - I am committed to this... I have been studying many YT vids, trying to learn the "art" of creating realistic orchestral productions... "cosmicdolphin's" suggestions are what I want to set up... My issues are on HOW to set all that up with my midi controller... I get lost with the set ups and assigning of that stuff... just over my head it seems (I am older, if that wasn't obvious)... Doesn't mean I can't or won't... just gets real frustrating sometimes... Even simply downloading plugins, using and assigning them, etc... just bogs me down... Hard to focus on just the music part - when the tech keeps getting in the way!... But I am learning tho... slowly but surely ("and don't call me Shirley"!)... Good Luck!!
thanks for your comments my friend ,I hear you, If I can give any advice, (not that I'm in any way qualified to do so) just tackle one think at a time ( and get a good handle on it before you move on), I have a list that I'm working through, (hopefully in sensible order) keep it as simple as you can, lest it becomes overwhelming, I'm not young either, I think it takes us a bit longer, but if were anything we're persistent and methodical, good luck with it (and don't give up!)
!)
ShaunS

ShaunS
Active
Active

Post by ShaunS » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:53 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:51 pm
kjckjc wrote:
My issues are on HOW to set all that up with my midi controller... I get lost with the set ups and assigning of that stuff
You shouldn't really need to assign anything to get started, just use the Mod wheel on your midi keyboard

Try this video - I reccommend looking at some of the other videos as well https://youtu.be/Ep9K8SG8Jos?si=7wWaCYk9tY6XeRu9
thank mate
Cheers
ShaunS

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:12 pm

I second cosmic dolphin's recommendation for that video..... That Guy Mackelmore Dude is not only entertaining, but extremely knowledgeable... i have certainly enjoyed his videos!!!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

MarkFeil

Post by MarkFeil » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:49 pm

kjckjc wrote:

When it is necessary to assign a midi cc to a midi knob or fader, it's quite simple, really. Most of the software out there only requires that you click on the virtual knob and then move your physical knob or fader a little. You should see the corresponding virtual knob moving as soon as it senses the movement of the physical knob or fader. Some software has other methods, which are quickly discovered on a Google search. That being said, the mod wheel gets the bulk of the workload unless you're doing orchestral work. You can also reassign the mod wheel to any midi cc you want. Guy Michelmore and Mark Jovanni are both great resources to check out on YouTube.

kjckjc
Active
Active

Post by kjckjc » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 am

Thanks Mark, Cosmic, ShaunS... Appreciate the input.. I have watched Guy's videos as well - he is awesome (haven't yet seen the linked one yet tho - I'm on it!)... I have an M-Audio Pro 49 midi controller keyboard, that I will learn how to set up the 9 controller levers - as well as the Mod wheel (which I do use)... I just get overwhelmed with "tech" sometimes, so I just move on!... I WILL get this one done tho!... Thanks Again!
..."To Play a Wrong Note is Insignificant... To Play Without Passion is Inexcusable"...
~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

https://www.taxi.com/members/kencrombie