CDBaby Pro Publishing and "exclusive" libraries

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

changeng

CDBaby Pro Publishing and "exclusive" libraries

Post by changeng » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:38 pm

I am SO. CONFUSED. I hope you guys can help me.

I have been with Taxi for about five years now and finally one of my forwards resulted in a music library sending me a contract. YAY ME ! So here’s the dilemma.

I have released five CDs through CDBaby over the last 10 years and have signed to their Pro Publishing contract for each one. The one-year term is over for each one and the song this library wants is on one of them.

This library wants a three-year exclusive contract for the song (no money upfront). After some research, the library seems pretty legit and since CDBaby hasn’t really delivered much beyond scooping up some Spotify things (which is nice), I decided this morning to send them an email to cancel the Pro Publishing agreement on the whole album the song is on (I have other songs from it that have been forwarded to different libraries, but with no response yet).

So here are my questions:

1) The library sent me a contract for a three-year exclusive listing of my song. The first purpose is to submit it for a sports network and then to be on their roster of songs available. After re-reading the original taxi listing tonight, the original description was for a NON-exclusive library and “they are looking to offer a one-year publishing agreement, but are flexible if you can’t accommodate that.” Do I remind them that they were listed as flexible and non-exclusive for this listing? I don’t have anything else happening with the song right now, so signing an exclusive for it isn't worrying me.

2) When you cancel CDBaby’s Pro Publishing agreement, do they also remove you from all the streaming services? I only requested to drop the Publishing aspect, not mentioning the digital distribution aspect. I don’t want to lose the visibility of all the streaming sites. They have Digital Distribution listed differently from the Pro Publishing aspect, but does canceling the Pro Publishing aspect only mean no one is collecting the royalties from these sites?

3) Do I try to "cancel my cancellation" of CDBaby’s Pro Publishing service if the new library is willing to take the song in a non-exclusive?

Any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Stuart