CDBaby vs rvrbntn vs tunecore

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

southpaw
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: CDBaby vs rvrbntn vs tunecore

Post by southpaw » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:46 am

great information here, great thread! I wonder how y'all post your individual songs that you have available for sale.. I.E. do you have a streaming mp3 for free and then sell a quality download? and etc... Can you do that with reverbnation or CDBaby? Also if you already have a webpage up, is it more ideal/efficient to have the sale made right from your site, or is there any difference between that and just linking to your 3rd party music page... Im not saying in replacement of have a digi distributor, im signing up for a cdbaby and a reverbnation account as well, but the only difference would be that you wouldnt lose a percentage selling right off your own site.. or...?
Stay Fresh,

Jamie Leger 
The Music Business Architect for Independent Musicians

--> FREE GUIDE: Double New Fan Signups At Your Next Show!

Proudly Helping Hundreds of Modern Musicians liberate the music business-on their own terms.

wings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by wings » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:19 pm

Jul 13, 2009, 12:46pm, southpaw wrote:great information here, great thread! I wonder how y'all post your individual songs that you have available for sale.. I.E. do you have a streaming mp3 for free and then sell a quality download? and etc... Can you do that with reverbnation or CDBaby? Also if you already have a webpage up, is it more ideal/efficient to have the sale made right from your site, or is there any difference between that and just linking to your 3rd party music page... Im not saying in replacement of have a digi distributor, im signing up for a cdbaby and a reverbnation account as well, but the only difference would be that you wouldnt lose a percentage selling right off your own site.. or...?I'm thinking about this right now. So far it appears that CDBABY will still require an "Album" before they stream individual mp3's off their site for sale. AND - they aren't going to use DRM anyway. So that begs the question - why use CDBABY at all for individual mp3 sales - other than getting them through to the digital channels (i.e. iTunes). I'm thinking about NOT using CDBABY for the individual mp3's but do my own MP3 download, or a link to the file after I'm paid via paypal.I dunno - just thinking out loud here.~wings~

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Jun 30, 2009, 12:39pm, mojobone wrote:I think Tunecore has a lot going for it for non-physical distribution, (wave of the future, that) CDBaby is great for selling physical CDs if you have fans that demand those, and Tony VanVeen is every bit as passionate as Derek Sivers was-and can cut you a break on manufacturing, since DiscMakers now runs CDBaby. For fan tracking and promoting your musical efforts, I think ReverbNation is tops. None are exclusive, so there's no reason not to use 'em all.yeah, what mojo said! I think Tunecore is gaining a lot of well deserved attention as a digital only distribution tool, Frank Black, Paul Westerburg and Aretha Franklin are using it (to name a few). But if you have a physical cd to sell CDbaby is still the way to go imo.

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:49 am

I have been using CDBaby for years and I love them. They are very artist friendly and have great promo tools. I'm also like TuneCore. They don't take a percentage at all. They provide a player you can add to your myspace with your music and sell it directly through the player.http://www.myspace.com/ottosdaughter (site is currently a work in progress but check out the player)Reverbnation and Ilike are great sites and tools, both provide widgets and link directly to your facebook; once you set up your artistpage or even on your personal page. RVN has many promo tools and both help connect you with other bands/artists and fans.You can also link them with twitter, so whenever you tweet it updates facebook and Ilike.If you want to keep your full 0.99 cents per song; I'd recommend TuneCore for digital and CDBaby for actual CD's. Also, check out Zazzle.com for making shirts online;)Much Success!xoxoJVB

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 am

Jun 30, 2009, 6:57am, hazineju wrote:Jun 29, 2009, 9:43pm, squids wrote:... they send you a very excited email....yeah i love that "break out the champagne" email! they definitely have that personal touch that is so refreshing! Arthur, i like cdbaby for distribution and reverbnation for the widgets and fanreach. i'm not familiar with tunecore, but i don't feel like i'm missing out by not being so.I love their e-mails. J